Headlights won't turn off!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonderbus70

Reaction score
I need some urgent advice as I have a problem with my 1970 van. It was all working fine and went on holiday to Suffolk. I parked it up and left it for a few days. When I tried to start it, it was dead. I used the jumpstart to try and start it and as soon as I connected it the sidelights came on. Thought that's it I have just left them on but when I checked the switch it was not on. I tried to jump start it to charged up the battery and it started up first time. I then tried to take a look at the switch to see if I could figure out what was wrong with it (big mistake!). I removed the speedo to check the switch and the van the cut out and would not restart (the gen and oil light did not come back on). I tried to see if I had pulled out any wires from the headlight switch but could not see any loose. Any ideas where to start? All that seems to work when I turn the key is the fuel guage. I don't want another trip down the A12 on a low loader. A wiring diagram for the headlight switch would be a good start.

I found a good wiring diagram by going on Google and typing in , 1970 VW Type 2 Headlamp Switch Wiring Diagram. It came up with 'Speedy Jim's Homepage, Aircooled'.I have tried to copy and paste but not working.Hope this helps.
Robert

You'll have dislodged something.

http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd think the intial problem with the lights may be down to the headlight relay rather than the switch. Its easy for a little leak from your windscreen wash ssyetm to end up getting in the realy corroding it and causing bad cionnections etc. Its fairly common.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Alex

Thanks for the tips gents. I will have another look today at it starting with the fuses and going on from there. There was a harsh frost so I am wondering if this has got into headlight relay causing the problems in the first place. Will let you know how get on.

Tried again this morning. Put on jump start and generator and oil light came on so tried to start it. Not enough charge so jump started it. Ran engine to charge up battery and noticed that the black and white wire to the relay was loose. Connected this and all seems fine. Lights no longer come on when you turn the switch off.

I have a slight leak in windscreen above the fuse box so will look at sorting this out asap to stop further shorts in the relay and get round to sourcing a new relay and headlight switch.

Thanks for all your help and advice

Latest posts