Headlights

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gagvanman

Reaction score
Thinking of changing the headlights on my bus to Golf Mk1 units. I know a bit of fettling with brackets needs to be done, but what wattage H4 bulbs do I use?

Pretty sure I used regular 60/55w H4.

You do need to drill some holes in the Golf headlight tabs to match the bus headlamp bowl. Not a big job.

Should be a good swap. Mine had no headlights when I got it so I can't compare.

Or if your original headlight units are OK, you could fit a pair of these adapters and you can run any H4 bulb you like. I have them in my bus, I ran them in my fastback and my daughters beetle. Easier than modifying your bowls. All you have to do is take out the shield thing if you still have them fitted. Just a thought!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-H4-P43T-HEADLIGHT-BULB-ADAPTERS-TO-410-HB12-P45T-R2-H5-CLASSIC-VINTAGE-CAR/182550292639?hash=item2a80d8689f:g:JY4AAOSwnRFc2wLr&frcectupt=true

Mine was US MICROBUS, FITTED 7” units with built in sidelight. Used H4 bulbs. Superb. Had to cut the back plate a little to get the sidelight part of the new unit into the bowl

Poor headlights are a function of both the light/bulb units AND the voltage that reaches them.

A better bowl and lense will make the most of the voltage, but poor connections, old switches and thin wires will limit performance. Upgrading your wiring and using relays on a high voltage circuit and your existing light switch to trigger those relays will probably give you another 10%

For what it's worth, I had sealed units and changed them for clear lense golf sealed units and felt that made a difference. Also changed my wiring too.

Latest posts