Headlining options?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatbuilder

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just removed my hardboard headlining to apply some dynamat sound deadening to the roof panels and I'm not too keen on putting the headlining back again for a number of reasons:

1. The hardboard is sagging in the middle and is bangs around while I drive, making lots of noise. I am trying to deaden the sound after all!

2. When I removed the old lining, there was some kind of fibre insulation stuff behind the lining, maybe fibreglass, it looked like sheeps wool. Anyhow, when it all came out, the inner surface of the roof was wet with condensation where the insulation was in contact with the roof. Can't be good! (although the OG paintwork is still like new up there)

3. I suspect the lining is not the original one, since the joining strips are made of hardboard and not aluminium, and there are no little ledges along the tops of the windows to hold the hardboard ( it was just screwed on with self-tappers)

What are my options?

Old headlinings........

IMG_1202.jpg

I have used 3mm pre faced asian birch ply wood. With a nice coat of water based clear varnish it looks pretty close to the Westy original. For insulation I have used 75mm fibre glass wool, get some water resistant stuff.

Latest posts