Heater control questions (probably not what you think!)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willevans79

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Right, heating now all working lovely (jammed on at the mo!) and me and the missus are very toasty in our 'Ermintrude". Just need to install the controls along with the 'new' dash board as PO had installed a 'custom' (i.e. fiberglass weird rubbishy thing) dash board. have acquired the metal heater control lever assembly from our local VW club (Roundabout club in MK - Lovely chaps and chapesses) and some suitable original plastic knobs from friendly guy at a the recent Deva Dubs show, brilliant, all sorted. Apart from the knobs don't fit the lever assembly and I've just realised there maybe a big difference between Early bay heating controls and Late bay heating controls. So have I buggered up here and if so what do I need!?

Here's the lever assembly, two for warm and one for cold, again I know some busses have two cold levers, though this might be a deluxe/not deluxe thing, getting paranoid now!

IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

and here are the knobs, all plastic and not fitting the levers! Do I need a metal insert between the plastic knob and the lever arm? Have noticed a set of four for sale on here that are a different design with metal arms that look like they'd fit into the levers, is that what I need?

IMG_0596.jpg

Any help/advice much appreciated!!!

Thanks

Will (& Ermintrude)

On my 68 van the knobs are just little rubbery caps that slot on the top of the metal arms, not long plastic pieces like you have there. Not sure of the alignment of levers/knobs to different models though.

Pretty sure thats a late bay set up if that helps. I'm not sure if it can be used, as others have said there are two cold levers.

Yep - wrong mechanism and wrong levers for your bus. You should have four levers not three.

I might have the right mech in a box somewhere - I'll have look today - but no levers. When you get the right levers do NOT try to remove the knobs to fit them (you will bugger them completely) but fit from the top. They are secured underneath by four nylon pins but many people use small nuts and bolts. pm me if you want the mech.

Brian

Edit - To my amazement I've found the correct four-lever mech :shock: It has one blue (ish) lever and one nylon pin with backing spring plus a spare backing spring and the two adjustable rods that fit into the fresh air flaps. More importantly it has the spring clip that secures the heater cable outers. These are often missing becuase when you remove them they fly across the van and disappear for ever. It's all in good nick with no rust. Make me a reasonable offer and it's yours.

Try a pm to tubdub on here for more levers - he's in the States and can often find them at very reasonable price incl shipping.

B*//*cks! :evil:
Lesson learnt, never assume and do better research!!! (To be fair I did find excellent diagrams of how it all went together for 'a bay window' so just assumed it must be the same for earlies and lates) Will now go sit in the corner facing the wall

Brian, I have PM'd you, you may just save me from total embarrassment! :D

Cheers

Will

willevans79 said:
Lesson learnt, never assume and do better research!!! (To be fair I did find excellent diagrams of how it all went together for 'a bay window' so just assumed it must be the same for earlies and lates) Will now go sit in the corner facing the wall

Cheers

Will
Well you are not totallt free from embarrassment,,,,, we all know what you did now :lol: :lol: :roll:

bertiethebus said:
willevans79 said:

Cheers

Will
Well you are not totallt free from embarrassment,,,,, we all know what you did now :lol: :lol: :roll:

Well, embarrassment from my wife who was berating me for getting the wrong one and generally cocking it all up! Isn't it annoying when they're right!!!

willevans79 said:

Cheers

Will

Will - you have pm
Brian

Latest posts