Heating pipe removal ,hows it done?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sproggy4830

Reaction score
My 1974 t2 has its engine and gearbox out , i am doing some work on the floor where it meets the firewall , i cut some floor out i can see that there is a hole in each of the Y shaped pieces of tubing that attach to. the heat exchangers just above the rear axle , the y shaped tubing was spot welded to the cross member , i thought grinding the weld off would allow me to wriggle the tubing out but unfortunately i cannot get it out

Currently the rear of van is up on ramps allowing me to work underneath and to facilitate the engine removal

Is there anyway of removing the tubing or is it in there forever, i have thought of cutting the cross member but that seems butchers and in not sure if that would allow it to come out anyway
Any idea i will put a few pics up this evening

Below are a few photos of the part i am trying to get out , a bit difficult to see but once you get your bearings it helps a little
looks little devoid of paint but i am in process of stripping and cleaning engine bat ,
ive had van since Oct 2012 and had engine and gearbox out and not yet driven the van , i intend to rust treat the bare metal , paint it with red oxide paint , a couple of coats then get the engine back in and then enjoy the van then come back and paint the engine bay a little better

P1030471.jpg

P1030470.jpg

P1030469.jpg

P1030468.jpg

P1030467.jpg

P1030466.jpg

P1030464.jpg

P1030463.jpg

Latest posts