Hello!!! New here...72 Wesfalia with Sportsmobile top

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

type2mike

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to earlybay. I was doing some searching online and found the site. Terrific topics and pics! I live just outside of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I've got a 72 Westfalia that I am currently restoring-s/b ready by the end of the summer.

welcome fella and whats the sportsmobile top then.....as everyone else has said get yer pics up, hang around a while and dive in... :D

Alright, I have been able to put some pics together for now-more to follow later. Here's the story on my 72 Westfalia/Sportsmobile.

I originally had a 77 westy last year and at one point a 69 beetle. The beetle was a flip-I got a California car locally for $1500.00 CAD (about 750 pounds I guess) and put some money into it and flipped it. The camper had to go as we needed the money at the time to help fund our fertility treatment as we were desperately wanting to have another child. We successfully got pregnant and had twins-two boys on May 24 of this year! We also have a three-year old daughter. After the successful fertility treatment, I was able to convince my wife to look for a camper again. Through a friend, I sourced out a 72 Westfalia that was litterally 5 minutes from my house. I took a look at it and e-mailed the owner. It turned out he was the original owner. He had it listed for $2500.00 CAD at the time but said he was negotiable. I told him my story and that I was really interested in the bus and asked if we would take $1500. He agreed and I drove it home shortly after. He brought me a little suprise when we met to finalize the deal-a mint condition original westy tent!!! Here's what myself and a buddy have done to the bus so far:

-replaced the headlights with halogens
-sourced out new matching grill for the front
-sourced out new top (Sportsmobile-more on this later)
-bought new used tires properly rated for the weight of the vehicle
-pulled off the original westy top as canvas was trashed and it only has a hammock-I need more sleeping room!
-replaced driver's side heater box and muffler and tailpipe-sounds great now!
-replaced the window channel in both front doors as they were rusted out and the windows wouldn't roll down.
-working on replacing battery tray
-working on replacing rear corner (passenger side)
-working on wiring issues in tail lights and headlights
-working on replacing rear tail light assemblies and lenses.
-replacing battery
-working on fabbing new metal for rockers on both sides

to come in the near future:

-finish body work on rockers, corner and repsray belt-line down
-blow in paint above the belt-line in small repair areas for now
-replace left rear window with flat window without vent
-fit Sportsmobile top
-fit VDO CHT, oil pressure and voltmeter gauges
-fit tach
-redo door cards and kick plates and rear hatch panel with birch-ply panels
-fit new stereo, speakers
-fit two 7 inch DVD players in ceiling
-patch front passenger floor-small piece of new metal required.
-small roof rack for the front of bus
-engine tune-up
to come further in future:

-take spare off of front and repair and paint
-paint above the belt-line
-lower
-rims and new tires (fuchs???)

So, the Sportsmobile top was sourced from a friend of a friend for $200.00. Sportsmobile used to do tops and VW interiors back in the 60s and 70s. They're still around but they do not make tops for vintage VWs anymore. The reason for the top is that we need more space. The Sportsmobile goes straight up and can accomodate two 6 foot plus adults! I e-mailed the company and they supplied me with a Sportsmobile sticker for the back of the top so I'm really stoked!!!

Attachments

• mikes bus repair 001.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 602
  • mikes bus repair 002.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 602
  • mikes bus repair 003.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 603
More pics...

Attachments

• mikes bus repair 004.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 593
  • mikes bus repair 005.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 593
  • mikes bus repair 006.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 592
ive never seen that shape of roof and it looks like you have plenty of space up there too 8)

Yeah, from what I understand, they're actually quite rare even in North America. I can't wait to get it on my bus-should be this week. Hoping to add some more pics!!! Cheers!

Just picked up the Sportsmobile top last night! Went over with my friend's 79 westy and single wheel trailer and strapped it on with some rachet straps. The top is a lot heavier than I originally thought-it's probably 200-300 pounds! It is in really good shape! Pics to come-very dark last night when I picked it up. Body work is rolling ahead nicely-should be ready for respray of belt-line down by August-best time to spray here due to temperature and humidity.

Haven't provided an update for a while-lazy about the pictures too :roll: Well, progress is: front spare taken off and holes/very large dent repaired. Top is on but canvas not attached to roofline yet. I've also been ordering lots of goodies-seals, emblem, etc. Sorry-hope to get some updated pics up next week!

looking forward to the piccies :mrgreen:

Latest posts