Help! Can Someone Make Sense of My Hotchpotch Van?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where do you live zero? Perhaps someone here lives near enough to pop by.

Does anyone recognise that previous paint job? Quite distinctive. Might be worth asking on TheLateBay if they know it.

gvee said:
Where do you live zero? Perhaps someone here lives near enough to pop by.

Does anyone recognise that previous paint job? Quite distinctive. Might be worth asking on TheLateBay if they know it.
i already put a link on our site incase anyone knows the van.

mattyd72 said:
aogrady said:
rickyrooo1 said:
if the person who "modified" the van wasn't clever have a look for the m plate, either behind the drivers seat on the bulkhead or riveted to the heat pipes behind the dash, post a close up of the vin area in the engine bay - does it look tampered with?

Hi,

He posted:

The bulkheads behind the seats have both been cut down level with the top of the wheel-arches - presumably one of the previous keepers decided to fit swivel seats, then didn't. Would an M-Plate be located anywhere else? The VIN Plate by the way is an approximately 40x100mm rectangle of aluminium stamped with the chassis number, although this number does match the one screwed in the engine bay.

So no bulkheads with M Codes and screwed on VIN :(

Alistair

Depends how late it is, it may be on the heater pipes under the dash as Rick stated ;)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yeah, soz, didn't read that bit , even though i quoted it. I only know earlybay, so in fact I'm no use at all really - carry on, as you were.... :oops:

Alistair

Thanks for all the replies fellas.

I didn't go into this blind - I had one of the guys from Brookside Aircooled give it a thourough check over before I bought it. They also carried out all the work needed to bring it up to pass it's MoT, which it did with no advisories.

As for the previous owner; I know him personally and trust him. He bought the vehicle from someone in Dudley and that the whole thing used to be turquoise. His idea was to get the whole thing painted white which resulted in the new front end being a different colour to the back.

I know very little at all about buses, having only owned my latebay since April 2012. All I can say is that yep the petrol cap is uncovered on my bus and the indicators high like yours. Mine basically looks like an orange version of your white van. I really hope you get a happy ending to this!!!!!!!

Personally I wouldn't worry about it.
A few on TLB have had similar and put a lot of time and effort into sorting it. The authorities have shown no interest whatsoever.

aogrady said:
mattyd72 said:
aogrady said:
Hi,

He posted:

The bulkheads behind the seats have both been cut down level with the top of the wheel-arches - presumably one of the previous keepers decided to fit swivel seats, then didn't. Would an M-Plate be located anywhere else? The VIN Plate by the way is an approximately 40x100mm rectangle of aluminium stamped with the chassis number, although this number does match the one screwed in the engine bay.

So no bulkheads with M Codes and screwed on VIN :(

Alistair

Depends how late it is, it may be on the heater pipes under the dash as Rick stated ;)

Yeah, soz, didn't read that bit , even though i quoted it. I only know earlybay, so in fact I'm no use at all really - carry on, as you were.... :oops:

Alistair

I always skim read too :lol:

As said above - it's not what it should be but it's not gonna get resolved - the feds/dvla don't care - i'd leave it, dig too deep and you'll at best be paying £225 a year tax or at worst have it taken off you...... best thing you can do is join us on the other side - it's a late - you must be proud.

zero34th said:
Thanks for all the replies fellas.

I didn't go into this blind - I had one of the guys from Brookside Aircooled give it a thourough check over before I bought it. They also carried out all the work needed to bring it up to pass it's MoT, which it did with no advisories.

As for the previous owner; I know him personally and trust him. He bought the vehicle from someone in Dudley and that the whole thing used to be turquoise. His idea was to get the whole thing painted white which resulted in the new front end being a different colour to the back.
This would worry me, ANYONE with a minor knowledge of bays would know it's a baddun.... i'm not slagging your mates by any means but they should have steered you away in my opinion.

tbh not worth worrying about...
its all historic and you have very little chance of changing things,

get rid of that dodgy glass fuel filter on the wrong side of the pump... :(

and enjoy your superior late bay ... :mrgreen:

and watch out for rickyrooo.... as he likes a bit of brown... :lol:

I believe if you pay the dvla a fiver and fill out this form https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/206691/V888.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
they will give you the details of all the previous owners, might be useful if you want to do some more digging?

S.

art b said:
tbh not worth worrying about...
its all historic and you have very little chance of changing things,

get rid of that dodgy glass fuel filter on the wrong side of the pump... :(

and enjoy your superior late bay ... :mrgreen:

You never had your bus stolen then??
Its clearly a legal vin. Is it a stolen vehicle its mounted to??

Krim said:
I believe if you pay the dvla a fiver and fill out this form https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/206691/V888.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
they will give you the details of all the previous owners, might be useful if you want to do some more digging?

S.
form v888 is what you want, that said do you really want to know the "k" reg was scrapped in a fire/crash/other "5" years ago and they stole/bought a taxable late and swapped the i.d over....... i'd leave it - seriously, we've seen this loads of times, it's the same for landrovers/minis/anything that looks the same on tax crossover years....

OK, so I've followed the advice and checked both places in the engine bay for the VIN - nothing at all :( Also, totally stupid as it sounds, I can't find the small VIN plate that I could've sworn was in there.

Photo of where a stamped VIN should be in an Early Bay;

http://rs1293.pbsrc.com/albums/b586/small_purple_cat13/001_zpsfff284ec.jpg~c200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also checked out the hinges of the engine compartment and they are Early as far as I can tell;

http://rs1293.pbsrc.com/albums/b586/small_purple_cat13/003_zps65a92049.jpg~c200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The rear bumper is certainly not an original fitting - those brackets look bodged to me;

http://rs1293.pbsrc.com/albums/b586/small_purple_cat13/004_zpsa32afe2c.jpg~c200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, if it helps, I've got disc brakes front and drum brakes rear and the front of the chassis looks like an Early to me (I'm going off the pictures in the Haynes Manual and the diagrams and pictures in both the VW Heritage and Just Kampers catalogues here).

Make of that what you will. I'm unsure whether to proceed any further with this now or strip the thing completely and sell the bits.

If its a late (which it is) the VIN number is stamped into the upright panel just inside the left hand side of the engine bay, right in front of you as you look.
It's probably been cut out or just filled over. Scrape some paint off and look.

why strip for parts? just drive it mate, you ain't the 1st and won't be the last. It's mot'd and road legal.

I'll give you £50 for the log book :lol:

No fuel flap, proper engine lid hinges, no removable rear valance, square vents and slider lock not in the handle points top a 74 year model to me. if you look under the front the chassis will be a y section if its late and straight if its early.

Looks nice though, but then i love a white bay :)

zero34th said:
OK, so I've followed the advice and checked both places in the engine bay for the VIN - nothing at all :( Also, totally stupid as it sounds, I can't find the small VIN plate that I could've sworn was in there.

Photo of where a stamped VIN should be in an Early Bay;

http://rs1293.pbsrc.com/albums/b586/small_purple_cat13/001_zpsfff284ec.jpg~c200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also checked out the hinges of the engine compartment and they are Early as far as I can tell;

http://rs1293.pbsrc.com/albums/b586/small_purple_cat13/003_zps65a92049.jpg~c200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The rear bumper is certainly not an original fitting - those brackets look bodged to me;

http://rs1293.pbsrc.com/albums/b586/small_purple_cat13/004_zpsa32afe2c.jpg~c200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, if it helps, I've got disc brakes front and drum brakes rear and the front of the chassis looks like an Early to me (I'm going off the pictures in the Haynes Manual and the diagrams and pictures in both the VW Heritage and Just Kampers catalogues here).

Make of that what you will. I'm unsure whether to proceed any further with this now or strip the thing completely and sell the bits.

Not one bit of your van says early to me, without actually standing in front of it id say post 74 -77 panel van with windows cut in it.
Its shitty news to hear. Was it cheap??

Latest posts