Help! driveshaft fell off!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beetlebug321

Reaction score
Hi, I was driving my 1970 bay yesterday, i went over a speed bump then heard a loud knocking noise. When i looked underneath the driveshaft had pulled away from the wheel hub. It doesn't seem broken but all the bolts have been worn in the middle of the thread. they look like they were replaced recently so i was wondering if the bolts weren't done up tight enough?? Is it just a case of getting new bolts and doing it back up?? any help much appreciated! Tom.

Its the cheapest option so always worth while trying it, have you had probs prior this?

It may be that the wear is a cause of under tightening the bolts but I suspect someone put knackered bolts on and either forgot to replace with new or couldnt be arsed as they were getting shot of the bus...

ahhhhh.... only got the bus a few months ago, the guy had just replaced the rubber boots so im guessing he didn't do the bolts up tight enough. Hopefully this is all it is. So can i just get new bolts on tighten it back on?? thanks for your help!

Get some WD40 into the threads, get a good bolt off the other side and run it through all the threads (take it easy) see if its trying to recut the bolt or snarling up in any way if its passing with a little force ok buy a set of bolts and your flying if its not then look further into it, its difficult trying to explain third hand but its down to feel if your concerned when trying it then chances are something else has gone tits like the female threads have gone too....

make sure you have the lock washers and speader plates too or it will happen again :wink:

Latest posts