Help! - Engine issues

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veedubt2

Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick run down what set up I'm running -

An 800 mile old T.E.S recon 1600 t/p engine
New twin weber 34ict's
New quite pack exhaust
New alternator conversion
New Pertronix
New blue Bosch coil
Bosch 009 Dist ( couple years old )
Plugs 800 miles old, HT leads 1000 miles old.

Has been starting and running spot on until this morning, starts ok, but sounds like its running on 3 cylinders :( .
I have a good spark on all 4 plugs, and all leads look good.
With the engine running if I take either no 4 or no 1 HT lead out of the dizzy cap, the engine nearly stalls, as it should do !
But take of either 3 or 2, there is no change to the idle at all :eek: .
Front head tins feel warm, rears dont !
Changed 1 HT lead (spare) and no difference :eek:

Only had time to do a few checks, will have a better look tomorrow, If anyone,s got any idea's let me know. :)
Regards
Daren

Hi mate, thats pretty much the set up i've got apart from i've got twin choke Weber IDF's and still running points.
Mine is having the exact same problem atm. Webers don't like the cold, when i start up first thing in the morning it's idles REALLY lumpy and uneven but by the time i've got to work which is about 4 miles the engine has warmed up and it runs really smooth and nice. I'm pretty sure that if you take it for a decent run get the engine totally warmed up it will be running normally ;)

Thanks for your imput guys,

Problem solved, I have adjusted the valve clearences, and all seems to be good :D

Westy- My carbs pop and fart until warm also, but the engine just didnt sound as it should. :lol:

Regards
Daren

Hi again,

The problem is back :x

Run down on what I've checked -

Air leaks on carbs/manifolds
Stripped and cleaned float bowls/jets
Blew fuel line out, from engine bay back to fuel tank
Fuel pump seems to be working
Checked that all 4 plugs have a spark
Compression test- 1 =125psi, 2 = 140psi, 3 = 140psi , 4 = 130psi.

I have noticed that if I fill the fuel filter, then even on idle it starts to empty, so there is only a drop of fuel in it.

Can anyone help, I'm starting to lose the plot :cry:

Regards
Daren

I doubt its air leaks on the intake side, generally air leaks cause the engine to rev up by itself. When the engines running will it rev up clean and smooth? Is the distributor timing correct and are the points , rotor arm etc all good?

I have pretty much the same set up as you but i have a vac dizzy. I had a problem like this once although mine wouldn't start at all. What you said about your fuel filter (ie no fuel in it) brought it back to me. Mine was over the engine (I know) so if yours isn't in this position this may not help. But i worked out i had an air lock between the filter to the carbs, don't know how it started. Took off the filter, and basically blew (with mouth) through the pipe. It took a bit of blowing but eventually i could hear air coming first through one carb, then the other. Put it back together, got someone to turn ignition, fuel filter filled up and didn't drain away, engine started into life and all was good again. Just a thought and my experience.

Al

Latest posts