Help please, advice req?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAY-1977

Reaction score
Hi all I'm putting the underside together and am looking for advice on braking? I can't remember if my 1970 bay had a brake load compensator or not? Is one really needed on em?
Also I was running drums frt an rear as standard but have changed to French slammer up frt with late discs, now will I need to Change my master cylinder to a later bay one with discs?
Cheers jay

Cant answer the master cylinder question (but answer is probably yes as the volume of fluid moving to operate callipers is greater than for brake cylinders).

The compensator isn't pressure a compensator. It works on a tilt basis, if you stamp on the brakes the van nose dives and its this angle that changes load to the back. A second hand one costs a tenner and I'd recommend changing your brakes pipes away. might as well fit it....

Think as above there recommended as a straight pipe through would give you 50/50 braking where as most of the braking force it taken on the front so the compensator changes the braking force to to something like 60/40
As under heavy braking you don't really want your back brakes locking up every time you hit the brakes. Think there fairly easy to clean out if you have one. But personally I would fit one.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Can't remember one being fitted to the bus before I tore it all down for resto! Think they were fitted 71 onwards?? May fit one as a precaution I guess!

Mines a 72 reg built 71 ? Maybe it was 71 onwards . Just remember reading something a while back about them when someone had put a straight through pipe on there bus and the braking was all to cock . Wasn't this forum I think .

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

this might help - but be aware that the images are shown as though you were looking through the chassis leg

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=118295

Latest posts