Help - Split Charge Fuse Blowing...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamski

Reaction score
I have a split charging relay installed on my van.

There is minimal load on the second battery - Propex, Lights and pump for sink.

The fuse which goes from the positive on my main battery to the relay constantly blows? It is a 15A rated fuse.

Hence the spare battery is not charging? What could cause this?

I believe the relay is wired correctly.

Might be the battery it too flat and is trying to pull through too much juice. If you have a trickle charger charge the battery then try again.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

My 100ah will run my kit for 2 weeks before needing a charge however if it runs too low it does blow like you describe when I fire up the van for a split charge

Hi
It is a new battery, and I charged it fully beforehand (the old battery was dead).

I'll try again, although I'm wondering if the problem is something else.

->Adam

I had that problem with a 15A fuse, upped to a 25 and had no issues. I think 15 is a little on the low side

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Whs . but I'd use a multimeter and see what the draw is under expected load and put the right size fuse in. Sounds like you checked all the wiring etc

If you increase the fuse size ensure the rest of the circuit can handle the extra current

--------------------------------------
Why didn't I buy my bus years ago !?

If you are running an alternator then you could easily dump 55amps across the fuse if the LB is discharged. I run around 80amp fuse and wiring to match. If I did get a direct short on the LB then it will easily blow the 80amp fuse.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Have you picked up the live for your switch on the relay from a place that goes live with the ignition, like the coil? If you have if the main batt is low when the starter kicks in it will pull a massive draw on the leisure battery and blow the fuse. Just pick up the live from the spade on the alternator that feeds the charge light in the dash pod, this will only come on when the starter has disengaged.

Same happened to me this weekend , leisure batteries don't like big loads and being discharged , I'm going back to a 100 ah car battery , blew a 60amp fuse twice due to breakdown of the battery ie8.8 volts , threw an old car battery on all is well , having said that my van running two amps and hydros off a leisure battery which isn't designed for such loads , lesson learnt my side

john the horse said:
Same happened to me this weekend , leisure batteries don't like big loads and being discharged , I'm going back to a 100 ah car battery , blew a 60amp fuse twice due to breakdown of the battery ie8.8 volts , threw an old car battery on all is well , having said that my van running two amps and hydros off a leisure battery which isn't designed for such loads , lesson learnt my side

Wouldn't be the same problem as the OP, his fuse is popping between the two batteries, if yours is a large draw from the LB side it would be the fuse out from your LB, the OPs problem is charging side and in my experience this is almost always the starter motor.

Mate agree with what you are saying however the split charge on mine is after the relay and so with a dead cell trying to draw then as they are both connected to the same circuit then the relay fuse went
I standby my claim a
Unless you have a means of neat constantly charging leisure batts then they are no good for vans with stereos etc , don't know who invented the things unless ya on constant hook up they suck

Latest posts