Help with applying for V5

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan

Reaction score
Does anyone know the best way to trace the registered keeper of a vehicle? I've been offered a car which a workshop has had sitting around for years, but they don't have the log book. The registered keeper owed them money, so they kept the car and there it's sat ever since. I know how to apply for the V5 etc, but am reluctant to spend money on the car, then getting it up and running, only to run the risk of the current registered keeper laying claim to it once done. I know the owner of the workshop, so know it's all above board from his side, they just no longer have the keepers number.

Thanks for any help in advance,

Dan

I think that there is a place on the DVLA site where you can trace a car by its reg. You get some limited info, but if you contact them they will tell you more.

I think that there was a link on here aswell.??? will try and find it 8)

Easy i saved you doing that m8 heres is the link Click me

What i would do is try and apply for the v5 before you spend any money on anthing thing else and if you don't get it they will not charge you. and you will have lost nothing. If the workshop owner is genuine and you know him he will have recipts for the work and so on which will be evidence on your side if the original owner contests it

hope thats of some help to you

Nice one dude! I am rubbish at searches!

I agree, get the V5 before anything.

Good Luck and keep us posted. 8)

ive had a few motors come my way without v5's (nothing out of order mind you) same thing work not paid for and motors left, if you apply for the v5 it normaly comes in the post in about 4 to 6 week's but i would get that first before parting with any cash!!!

Just worth bearing in mind that having the V5 (being the registered keeper) is not the same as being the legal owner! Chances are you'll be fine (especially if it's been sat there for years), but it might be worth getting some legal advice on where you stand if the original owner resurfaces - this can happen!!!
If you do go ahead - good luck, another van saved...

Latest posts