High Beams???

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abby

Reaction score
This is possibly a very stupid question so I apologise in advance...

The high beams on my '68 work when you pull the stalk, but they do not stay on - are they supposed to be able to stay on somehow?

I don't think so... but I am still very much learning when it comes to the mechanics and electrics of my bus. It went for an MOT yesterday and failed on this, a back light issue (again electrical) and the brakes.

I was sort of hoping it might be an unfortunate quirk that they didn't intend them to stay on back in the day... :roll:

Hand in pocket again!

abby said:
I don't think so... but I am still very much learning when it comes to the mechanics and electrics of my bus. It went for an MOT yesterday and failed on this, a back light issue (again electrical) and the brakes.

I was sort of hoping it might be an unfortunate quirk that they didn't intend them to stay on back in the day... :roll:

Hand in pocket again!

Might be stating the obvious but you have to have dipped headlights on when you pull the stalk (so the dash switch pulled out 2 clicks) otherwise it is just a flash function

67westy said:
abby said:

Hand in pocket again!

Might be stating the obvious but you have to have dipped headlights on when you pull the stalk (so the dash switch pulled out 2 clicks) otherwise it is just a flash function

I'm all up for stating the obvious! You just never know :lol: . However this one I did know and unfortunately they still don't stay on. I shall investigate further! Thanks guys

abby said:
67westy said:
abby said:

Hand in pocket again!

I'm all up for stating the obvious! You just never know :lol: . However this one I did know and unfortunately they still don't stay on. I shall investigate further! Thanks guys

Worth a check :) I'd look at your relay next, make sure all the connections are on it. If everything else is good maybe try a new one (or borrow one if you know someone else with a bus locally)

My high beam doesnt come on at all until dipped headlights are on (2nd pull on the switch)
I dont have any flash function other than clicking them on and off with dipped lights on already

I seem to remember that some US spec indicator stalks don't have the ability to flash the lights - I could be wrong though

I think the stalks are identical, the relay doesn't have the functionally. If the relay is one of the newer ones all you need is a jumper wire from the positive to the connection that is not wired on the new relay, Im sure that's what I did.

Sent from my Siswoo C55 using Tapatalk

Yup US ones are missing a live feed to pin 30 (and the pin itself)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

StuF said:
My high beam doesnt come on at all until dipped headlights are on (2nd pull on the switch)
I dont have any flash function other than clicking them on and off with dipped lights on already

Me too - would like to get this sorted so that I can flash fellow aircooleders on our travels!

Moseley said:
StuF said:

Me too - would like to get this sorted so that I can flash fellow aircooleders on our travels!

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/935vg0010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; one of these at the weekend (45% off makes them £13.55) then run a live feed from the fusebox to pin 30. Should take about 5 mins to sort :D

67westy said:
Moseley said:
StuF said:

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/935vg0010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; one of these at the weekend (45% off makes them £13.55) then run a live feed from the fusebox to pin 30. Should take about 5 mins to sort :D

Ill get the kettle on! By the time you're done the brew will be ready - chop chop

Any time mate get the relay ordered and we'll sort it :)

JUNE42 is the GSF code for this weekend :)

Latest posts