Home made ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I would be Interested In fitting the Bamboo one you have In mine any price ? pic's ? happy to PayPal you as a gift , cheers Bud
Found it. Looks like it’s been fitted at some point judging by the brackets, the bamboo shelves however look new

IMG-1898.jpg

IMG-1897.jpg

£75 posted (uk address)

I’ll give you first refusal

I was thinking of just making one for the passenger side, and maybe a smaller one for driver. Based on what Ozzy said earlier, I was thinking of some sort of rope/mesh that would sag a bit under weight so it contained things when braking, over bumps etc. At the moment I just put things on the floor next to me, but they invariably end up all over the place. I'll have to have a think.

I was thinking of just making one for the passenger side, and maybe a smaller one for driver. Based on what Ozzy said earlier, I was thinking of some sort of rope/mesh that would sag a bit under weight so it contained things when braking, over bumps etc. At the moment I just put things on the floor next to me, but they invariably end up all over the place. I'll have to have a think.

Working along from what you’ve just said Senor Andy,,,,
What about a large T piece or four, two large and two small with a cable stretched across and a stretchy cargo net like I have across the rear of my bus instead of the headbanger locker, possibly hook it back to a couple of hooks attached to the heater box. I’ll bet those little vertical ones for door cards would fit nicely.
IMG_3718.jpeg

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, now I’m thinking :)

One other thought might have just jumped into my head .
Considering how nice and taught that ancient bit of nett is even after all these years and a big hole. I’m wondering if the frame was made slightly distorted a bit just like it had been pumped up on one side then used the clipped mesh to straighten it out thus keeping it under tension.:unsure:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,sounds feasible :):rolleyes::)

I think you might be suffering an attack of mistaken homophones with NET vs NETT and TAUT vs TAUGHT or TORT!?!

Sure. It’s elasticated with four snap hooks one on each corner. Measurements are approximately 850mm X 600mm but it’s been hung up for a few years now and had all sorts chucked in it. When camping i normally have it full of crisps and mini cheddars, mostly Red Leicester just so there’ll always be some munchies when Stellaing but also so I don’t bang my head when getting up out of the pit to spend a penny or two.

IMG_3772.jpegIMG_3771.jpegIMG_3767.jpeg

I’ve got four hooks screwed straight into the metalwork ala self tapering but not. So drilled a pie lot then sank a self tapper then changed it for a hook or an eye it might be. :rolleyes:
IMG_3762.jpegIMG_3763.jpeg
The two very rear ones, I’ve swapped the self tapper screws for stainless eyes.
Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, looks proper like it’s factory almost :)IMG_3763.jpegIMG_3762.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3764.jpeg
    IMG_3764.jpeg
    1,020.6 KB · Views: 0
These came out of my old bus too, the one I bought as a donor,,,,my donor,,,,,Madonna,,, The only vehicle that I can think of that not only saved me money but actually made me money. Amazing how taut the net stays even with a ladder in it.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,just the one. :)

There could now be a zillion variations created by our lot. The only thing I think that’s worth mentioning is to form something that’ll be collapsible in an awkward situation (bump) So to stay away from solids like plywood, sterling / chip board etc etc.. Ive got an idea or two but we’ll see what crap I can find in the garage. :eek:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,cast iron ain’t an option here :)
What about John Guest speedfit or similar to make the frame, this would stay rigid but collapse and give on impact with no sharp edges, just bent plastic. Could be padded between the fittings and wrapped with "paracord" and a cargo net or bamboo style weave.
I love making stuff, and now this has got me thinking...
If bamboo is a preference the crossbar could still be made from real bamboo, just put a series of cuts in the fwd face to create a crumple zone should knees ever contact hard.

1694960216135.png
1694961901880.png
You can just see my home made ones. Made from the hardboard they supply to cover home radiators from B&Q. Spray painted black and found some blue tubing for the edges, split it lengthways to cover the sharp edges. Strong enough to handle empty wallet, sunglasses etc. Oh and an old Beetle emblem:ROFLMAO:. Made in an evening and held in place by cable ties to allow easy removal if required.

J & P
:D:D:D

View attachment 6644
View attachment 6645
You can just see my home made ones. Made from the hardboard they supply to cover home radiators from B&Q. Spray painted black and found some blue tubing for the edges, split it lengthways to cover the sharp edges. Strong enough to handle empty wallet, sunglasses etc. Oh and an old Beetle emblem:ROFLMAO:. Made in an evening and held in place by cable ties to allow easy removal if required.

J & P
:D:D:D
Nice job, and free too

Latest posts