How do you lift your van?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dizzy T2

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
After 1972
Van Type
VW T2 Dormobile
Hi Everyone

I need to get my van in the air to paint underneath can you share your pictures of how to hold it up in the air?

Beer barrels, jacks, blocks etc

All ideas are welcome.

Axle stands for me. On the chassis as I'm doing stuff to the suspension and need a clear run at it.

Attachments

• IMG_2295.jpeg
    IMG_2295.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Axle stands under the torsion bar tube at the rear and the beam at the front. Mind the grease nipples on the beam though. I like to put a bit of cardboard on the jack stands to enough to stop scraping of metal against metal.

I do very similar to this but I use a couple of four inch sections of old motorcycle tyre to slot onto the beam. I slot one on each side of the beam and let it sit right up to the grease nips then when I position the axle stands from the front I know I won’t be touching the nips if I keep to the middleish of the tyre section. I leave them in the axle stands when I pop them away just so I don’t keep checking my beam to make sure ive remembered to take them off. Which is exactly what I was doing loads of times previously .

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,they sit really well :)

I do very similar to this but I use a couple of four inch sections of old motorcycle tyre to slot onto the beam. I slot one on each side of the beam and let it sit right up to the grease nips then when I position the axle stands from the front I know I won’t be touching the nips if I keep to the middleish of the tyre section. I leave them in the axle stands when I pop them away just so I don’t keep checking my beam to make sure ive remembered to take them off. Which is exactly what I was doing loads of times previously .

I do something very similar with old bike inner tube cut to fit the top of the stands🙂

Next time you do it will you take a picture I might do something similar

No worries, he’s up on axle stands now while the front brakes debacle is unfolding in front of my very own eyes. I’ll sort some this weekend so you can see.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,works nice,,,,real nice :)

Looks great Ozzie 👍

Winnie’s up in the air at the minute too, just renewed the front brake lines before MOT. Same lifting method, but stands further back on the chassis. I have 2 x rubber inserts that go on top of axle stands making a flat (puck like) surface.

@Dizzy T2 … I’ll add a pic later 👍

IMG_7351.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks great Ozzie 👍

Winnie’s up in the air at the minute too, just renewed the front brake lines before MOT. Same lifting method, but stands further back on the chassis. I have 2 x rubber inserts that go on top of axle stands making a flat (puck like) surface.

@Dizzy T2 … I’ll add a pic later 👍

If I have them on the chassis, I have some quarter inch ally angle about four inches long that I slot in the chassis. I think it spreads the weight and protects the paint. I also think sometimes that I’m deluded.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,maybe not just sometimes :unsure:

@ozziedog I’m envious of the space you’ve got around the van too

I’ve gone from this

IMG_6250.jpeg

To this …

IMG_4225.jpeg

The racks off now, but I still have a height restriction when lifting as the roof slopes front to back 🙈

Next house, bigger garage for sure 👍

It’s a yellow one bud :cool:
I’ll go down tomorrow and have a look. The main reason I have that one is the extension piece to the lifting plate, bumps it up about four inches and saves a lot of work pumping that handle. Or drop it out and it’s low level.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,just back from the pub. :)

Latest posts