How Does Your Van Ride?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddffrost

Reaction score
On the back of a couple good threads i'd like to ask how does your van ride suspension wise.

Nice to hear from stock and lowered and slammed van drivers!

Mines lowered and rides pretty hard like to improve the ride comfort for definate!

still stock and like a big floaty bed, dont ask about cornering :D

not for long hopefully :twisted:

Lowered not slammed, but ride quality great even over pot holes.

093.jpg

091.jpg

Mines lowered and I avoid potholes/drain covers/cats eyes/small stones :shock:

So yeah hard ride! I even get rubber scrapage going round corners too quick...eep.

I love it though!! Then my mind does wander onto dreams of air suspension tho after going over a particularly big stone.... :roll:

878a_4.jpg

Mines stock height, and since fitting the new front beam with different shocks, seems to be even higher in the clouds.

Great fun braking hard, had to try the brakes out today and the front goes way down and bounces back up. Too much and i feel sea sick.
Good for going throught fields when camping. :D

As my rear sticker says " lower than your nans t**s " and i also get a touch of the rubber on wheel arch on heavy cornering, that said rides still pretty good :)

When it was just lowered 1 spline on the rear and the front to match it really drove and rode lovely, even passengers said this.
Now its abit lower and narrowed its not so nice, and although pot holes etc dont cause a problem those uphill/downhill, tight corners cause abit of tyre to arch rub which makes me wince abit.

its interesting to know what other people are using shocks wise etc?

Kempy yours looks to me to be very similar height to mine but mine rides proper hard little holes slam when you go over them sounds like there are no shocks at all.

Totally stock right now - great on the rough country lanes!
I'm going to replace the shocks (with decent quality 'stock' - which ones?)
Also going to uprate the front anti-roll bar in an attempt to reduce that 'diving into corner' feeling when entering roundabouts.
Don't want lowered, though I would be tempted to reach your level Kempy, looks good - no lower though. Be interested to know your spec Kempy (how you lowered, which shocks etc)

Mine is a bit bumpy, with a 4" narrowed beam it would be a lot worse if it had silly rubber band tyres.

I dream of it being this low, sadly its nose is over a kerb...

CIMG7610.jpg

I am going to purchase some dropped spindles when the finds allow. Give it a couple of hundred years then :D

Mine drives really nicely, firm but friendly! The narrowed beam does make it a bit twitchy but I love driving it.

P050508_092402.jpg

P050508_101602.jpg

I have a 2" narrowed beam, King and link pin 3 1/2" dropped spindles, creative adjustable spring plates and I have used Spax adjustable shocks (supplied by creative)

Mine is pretty much the same set up as Faux bus , The only thing i find hard to get used to is the non - corrective steering :shock: So you have to steer in and out of every turn :?

100_1128.jpg

Grazy said:
Mine is pretty much the same set up as Faux bus , The only thing i find hard to get used to is the non - corrective steering :shock: So you have to steer in and out of every turn :?

100_1128.jpg

I love it Grazy.....well worth the drive quality. You do get used to it, honest!

You are making me think about going lower.... :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

Like a half inflated air bed :lol: :lol:

I do love the look of lowered vans but being a tight wad I can't quite get over the hurdle of actually buying the adjusters....

Mine rides and handles perfectly. It is 100% stock. I was a bit floaty, but I have replaced all four shocks, all the ball joints and the anti roll bar bushes. Keeping the beam greased is key too. Lowering is just daft, why would you want to make your van handle and steer less well?

I fitted an adjuster to the standard beam and KYB 2 short shocks on front. Van rides low, firm but you don't loose your fillings going over pot holes, which is good! Good in corners and the tires never rub on the wheel arch. I am real happy with the set up :D

Interesting ........

Mine drives and handles well dont roll in corners but man do you feel those pot holes and i looked at it in the petrol station on the way over to the inlaws and i still think the front looks to high.

Might go to spindles and go lower but i hear spindles can allow you bigger shocks so a softer ride?

As for Crazy thats a sweet looking bus but does everyone with a narrowed beam have non corrective steering?

Dave

If your thinking of lowering and still want to use the van then i would suggest you avoid Portugal and parts of Spain.

I just got back from a 3400 mile tour round Portugal and Spain. My 71 dormy is stock height and I still managed to ground and dent the quiet pack exhaust once and grind the front bumper on the tarmac twice on junctions, where minor roads meet main roads - and that was being careful! Also managed to become airborn twice when hitting unmarked, large changes in road level at speed. (Like a launch ramp).

Had my van been lowered things would have been more serios than all the contents of the cupboards emptying themselves as the doors burst open. :roll:

Latest posts