How far is too gone ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velgreeno

Reaction score
Hey folks. Well if you are like me, you find yourself watching restoration videos on VWs etc on TV, You tube and the like. It amazes me how folks have different ideas on how far a vehicle is gone restoration wise and i often shout oh my god come on that is very doable dude when they say too far gone .Obviously cost is a big factor but you plan and budget if you are going to do a restoration.unless you want to make a quick profit. For you folks how far is too far before you go nah too far gone for me ? For me there would only be a corner of a door and a part of the chassis left so to speak before i would go ok that's gone but even then i would be like is it though ha. My bus wasn't for the faint hearted when i restored her and that's an understatement but i would try and save them all if i could. What about you folks ? 🤙

Mines a ten footer for sure …. and despite my best efforts it’s getting crustier. At the moment it’s just about getting it running…. but I know it won’t be long before it needs new metal in places. The chassis has been done but does have some old repairs.
So the plan is run it for a few years then take the bold step of getting it dipped and dealing with anything that shows up 🥴🤪😬
By then i’m hoping to have a new workshop and a decent welding kit and more welding practice - so the work will be done by myself.
It’s always been cost that’s kept me from doing it from the start. Possibly not the best idea … but it is what it is.
Maybe convert to a Jurgen style if it’s too bad.
Always had the greatest admiration for anyone prepared to strip paint off and deal with what’s underneath.

Interesting point . If you replaced the chassis then later replaced the engine would you need to re register it.

Also if someone built a new VW - identical to original just all new would anyone buy ??

Deep s#!t man … and no beer involved 🧐

Mines a ten footer for sure …. and despite my best efforts it’s getting crustier. At the moment it’s just about getting it running…. but I know it won’t be long before it needs new metal in places. The chassis has been done but does have some old repairs.
So the plan is run it for a few years then take the bold step of getting it dipped and dealing with anything that shows up 🥴🤪😬
By then i’m hoping to have a new workshop and a decent welding kit and more welding practice - so the work will be done by myself.
It’s always been cost that’s kept me from doing it from the start. Possibly not the best idea … but it is what it is.
Maybe convert to a Jurgen style if it’s too bad.
Always had the greatest admiration for anyone prepared to strip paint off and deal with what’s underneath.
That sounds good with the resto. I really wanted mine dipped but i couldn't find anywhere at the time that did it. I would love my own workshop too and i really hope i get one with all the gear too in time. I went to town on my bus and did it in stages like year one underneath, year two the body and so on. Arduous yeah but so worth it 🤙.

Last edited:
Interesting point . If you replaced the chassis then later replaced the engine would you need to re register it.

Also if someone built a new VW - identical to original just all new would anyone buy ??

I think it depends on how much. A few parts of the chassis was done on mine but obviously like for like. Id say about 65% including the engine is originalon mine and the parts are like for like too so i dont know ha.
I thought that like those Alan Schofield panels at shows in the shape of a bus. I've always wondered is it possible to build one from scratch and not sure if you saw them but a few years back a company started manufacturing all new Splitscreen bodies and i thought ooh ok. I think if they were done in bays too then that would be very tempting.🤙

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,I think you think toooooo much ,, me too :)

See some of the buses that Irvs Restos bring back to life - I guess anything is possible!
I wouldn’t have the skills though, so I’d need a lottery win to pay for it.

Latest posts