How hard to change?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redgaz54

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Panel van / Camper
Hi all, my fuel pump push rod has been getting noisy latey, to such an extent i don't really want to drive the van till it's sorted, i fitted a new push rod, but that hasn't made any difference really. I've come to the conclusion the bakelight intermediate flange bore is probably worn or broken, does the collective agree ?.
How much of a job are they to change? 🤔 Thanks in advance for info. 👍

They can come straight out, or break into 20 pieces.
To make it easier I'd remove the two fuel pump mounting studs first, so you can grip and wiggle the pedestal as you pull it out.
What sort of noise does it make?
Is the push rod worn?

Mine was clicking, in fact it was your previous fuel rod post that made me look at mine, to find the Bakelite spacer had indeed broken.

I got the “stuck” bottom bit out using an M10 tap, then did an oil change where I found some small bits of Bakelite.

Good shout from sparky to remove the studs so you can twist the top easier.

I have no clicking after the replacement part was fitted, my original pushrod was okay 👍

Last edited:
They can come straight out, or break into 20 pieces.
To make it easier I'd remove the two fuel pump mounting studs first, so you can grip and wiggle the pedestal as you pull it out.
What sort of noise does it make?
Is the push rod worn?
It's a new rod. The noise is like a tappet.

Latest posts