• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Turnkey 2.7L Corvair Flat 6 Aircooled Engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike.s

Reaction score
NOW SOLD

Turnkey 2.7L Corvair Flat 6 Aircooled Engine

Hi,

I`m selling my corvair engine - if you haven`t heard of these, they were a popular conversion in the states where this is still quite a big corvair scene. This is the 110bhp version - the most popular for a vw conversion. There is quite alot of information in this thread here -

http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28401

But the general gist is they are a 6 cylinder aircooled pretty similiar to the porsche 6 cylinder from the 60`s. There are really similiar to the vw flat 4 (apart from the extra 2 cylinders). This one has twin carbs similiar to the stock vw type 3 with just a mixture, idle control and auto chokes.

Originally, corvairs turn in the opposite direction to the VW, so fitting them to the VW required either taking the engine apart and fitting a new camshaft which reversed the firing order or flipping the differential in the vw gearbox. This one has has the reverse cam fitted so has been done 'properly'.

The engine was already installed in my bus when it was imported from the states so all the hard work was done. I fitted new wiring, and it turned freely and the compression was good.

Initially, i removed it and ran the van with a 1600 whislt i got it registered and mot`d, but a few months back, i decided to refit the corvair and get it running properly. Its all been installed now for a few weeks and running pretty sweet :)

Whislt getting it running, i `ve fitted freshly rebuilt carbs, harmonic balancer (crank pulley), oil pump, and all new seals (push rods tubes, sump, oil cooler and valve covers). I`ve also had custom made oil pipes made up to remote the oil filter which is fitted with a fram filter.

This is a complete turnkey engine ready to bolt in - literally 4 bolts and it is in running! It has a flywheel fitted with 6v vw ring teeth so i can supply my 6v starter and bush to fit a 12v gearbox and everything else is there.

The tinware is all painted and the engine looks really neat - its about as close to a porsche 6 cylinder without having a porsche engine you can get! As its aircooled, no worries there either and it sounds just like a stock engine, but with the slightly deeper sound of the flat 6.

It pulls really well and there is loads of torque there for getting up those hills!

There are a few people in the uk running these in various vws. There is an early bay window (on this forum), a few vw buggies and i`m sure there have been a couple of other vans on vzi with them in the past.

All parts are easily obtainable - there is http://www.statesideauto.co.uk here in the uk who can get parts or you can go directly to the main US supplier clarks corvair - http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/main which is what i do. There are really helpful and with fedex priority mail, they are on your doorstep in under 48hours (quicker than some uk suppliers!). I also have quite a few spare parts - some carbs and full set of new service parts i got - eg points, dizzy cap, rotor, etc.

There is loads of info, manuals, faqs, etc on the american forums (http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/list.php?1) and the guys there are really helpful!

The engine had compression of 145/150 on 5 cylinders and 120ish on 1 cylinder - i think this may be just a worn ring as dripping oil down the cylinder and rechecking upped the compression. It doesn`t seem to effect anything though. Oil pressure is good - i have a sender installed for a vdo gauge and it shows 50+psi at cold idle. When warm, about 30 psi at 2000 rpm and about 10psi at idle. The only niggling thing is that starting it after a couple of days standing, it takes about 10 seconds of turning over to start - this is a known problem on the stock corvair carbs and caused by fuel evaporation - alot of people install elctric fuel pumps to prime the carbs before starting and some just leave it. I `ve left it as it builds some oil pressure before starting. As soon as fuel gets to the carbs though it instantly fires.

Obviously the engine is just a little bit longer than flat 4 - with a buggy this no problem, with a beetle, there will some mods needed to the decklid and valance, a bay window, it will go in (may need a little bit of modification to the inner valance, and a split like me, it will fit, but mods needed to the valance and engine lid (i will supply my valance and engine lid if needed)

The engine is running in my van at the moment so can be seen running no probs and i won`t be taking it out until it has been sold.

I`m in weymouth, dorset, so it can be viewed here - my email is '[email protected]' or phone is 01305834977 or 07961904707

Not many pics at the moment, but here`s a couple from a while ago before i completed the install. I`ll see if can some better pics and video in the next few days.

£1950

cheers, Mike

IMAG1956.jpg

Wow would love this, I'm only Yeovil too. If the price drops let me know

No worries - i think it`ll stay the same for a few weeks though as i`m in no hurry to sell - still enjoying it at the moment!

By the way, in case people were wondering - i`m selling it as my original plan for my bus was to have a custom new vw engine built for it. The corvair has been fun, but now i`m back to my original plan, but need to sell the corvair to help fund the new engine.

mike.s said:
No worries - i think it`ll stay the same for a few weeks though as i`m in no hurry to sell - still enjoying it at the moment!

By the way, in case people were wondering - i`m selling it as my original plan for my bus was to have a custom new vw engine built for it. The corvair has been fun, but now i`m back to my original plan, but need to sell the corvair to help fund the new engine.

hi mate
have you any pics with the engine lid closed with the corvair fitted.....?
cheers

Sure - my van is a split. I think a Bay has a slightly longer engine bay. I wouldn`t have had to make the mods to that donor engine lid if i`d had about an extra 1.5 inches length.

There is a guy on here running one in a bay but with the corvair gearbox.

here`s mine -

IMAG2054.jpg

IMAG2051.jpg

Finally got a video and some pics this afternoon. Some pics are slightly older but show how it fits in the vw - there was no trimming required in my van to the sides of the engine at all. Just the rear valance (and in my case, the engine lid)

Here`s a video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWTv6uqekz8

Pics -

IMAG1852.jpg

IMAG1854.jpg

IMAG1869.jpg

IMAG1852.jpg

IMAG1870.jpg

IMAG2136.jpg

IMAG2137.jpg

IMAG2138.jpg

IMAG2139.jpg

IMAG2140.jpg

IMAG2141.jpg

If I'm up ur way soon buddy would it be ok to come see? I'm not in the position to buy ATM but I think it's awesome buddy I'm about 1500 off ur price :/

Sure - just drop me a text to let me know when your around - I'm in Preston, Weymouth, number is 07961904707 (signal isn't always great!)

Cheers, Mike

Latest posts