How long do you drive for?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judge_smudge

Reaction score
Hi all

Off to La Rochelle in a few weeks for The Colonels 1st European adventure. I'm interested to know how long you would drive for before giving the van a rest - I was thinking a couple of hours max? Ferry lands in Cherbourg at 2.00pm but cannot get in our campsite until the following day so no rush to get there.

Cheers

I have been through Europe in our bus regularly driving 6 plus hours a day without any issue
Often stopping for fuel and food breaks though - my ass goes to sleep after a couple of hours

I drove the van from Wolfsburg to my hometown in Holland, about 450 miles. No stops except for gas.

Last year I drove it from the south of France back home with only a gas stop.

To the van there's no difference between running for 1 hour or 10 as long as it doesn't run too hot. It's probably the driver that needs to stretch every now and then. I know my back hurts after driving for a few hours.

I drove from Coppenhagen 10am, through Denmark, Germany, 10pmHolland, 3am Belgium

so 17hrs driving with no stops except fuel, eating whilst driving.

I had a Numb Bum!

Not in a bus but in my bug 10hrs with just fuel stops. As Alex says my arse was sore too

Im going to La Rochelle area in the summer, once off the ferry I'll only stop for fuel/loo break. Its about 300ish miles down to that area, so the van should manage that in a oner with no dramas. But, if you cant get onto site tioll the next day, then take a break and chill somewhere en route 8)

I did edinburgh to Isle of Skye in March this year (260 miles up some pretty steep hills), just stopping every couple of hours for a pee break or refreshments, van was fine. So long as the cooling is up to scratch then should be fine all day at 55-60mph on the flat.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

I think I need to get out more:(

But I do drive my bus for many hours over a weekend, but never going anywhere, except somewhere that is not to far. If you get my meaning.

I would love to take the bus over to France. Maybe I should get to the Belgium gig, cannot remember when that is now.

As above, drive it until you need a break, or until you need fuel. The van will be happy plodding along for any length of time :)

I usually stop every 2 -3 hours, just because i like a break and a poo :mrgreen:

If you're in no rush, i'd look at using the N roads, even if it's just some of the journey. It's the perfect pace for a bus and you see some really lovely towns and countryside. It's almost what a bus was for. However, if you have kids who have are impatient to get somewhere fast and they're doing your head in then you might have to re-think. Stating the obvious i'd buy a map, not rely on sat nav....

enjoy.. Al

RubADub said:
I think I need to get out more:(

Maybe I should get to the Belgium gig, cannot remember when that is now.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=56988" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)

Regularly do drives of 2 to 3 hours dragging a trailer without problems. Fuel or numb bum normally force me to pull over

In oz I was doing 18 hours at a time, only stopping for fuel etc. it was in the dessert so f'all else to do. In the uk (where it's colder) I'm scared of doing more than a couple of hours because my bus cost 10 times as much!

Sent from my arse using Tapatalk

Out of interest, how fast to you guys go?
I've no problem with time, as someone else said, the van doesn't know the diffrence between 1hr or 10, the limiting factor is always fuel or loo breaks for my girlfriend. I always worry about the speed though. I stick at 55mph and feel guilty if I creep over 60mph to overtake a lorry or whatever. Standard engine and box.

Latest posts