How LOUD can I go?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warwick71

Reaction score
Hi,

This winters project: fit replacement uncut, freshly painted dash and original Blaupunkt radio (you know the ones with the chrome face and the VW knobs.)

But what speakers can I run off one of these old radios? Has anyone else fitted one in their van? I'm currently stuck on what wattage speakers to buy? (with out sounding too posh what what) :lol:

Should I fit an amp? etc. (Bare in mind I do have a tendancy to spike radio's :oops: ) but basically I'll just by running my Mp3 through it, if I can get the right cable.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.
Cheers

ive left my OG radio where it is, added a cd/mp3 in the glove box, 6" mid and tweets in the kick panels, 6x9 in the rear shelf, and an amp and 15" sub in my buddy seat

Hi, sounds cool 8) I'd like to try and use the old radio if I can, but have no idea what power speakers I can buy.

You never know it might not actually work when it's wired in, in which case back to plan B, stereo in the glove box :D

anything at all will do, the max power of your old radio wont blow new speakers. im using a single kenwood 100W (total over kill) with my blaupunkt emden, nice crisp clean sound even at full volume. :wink:

Cool 8)

More worried about overpowering radio with too many speakers.

Fitted 6x9's and a new stereo fitted in my MkIIII Golf, off to a party first evening suddenly got Prodigy stuck on full blast :shock: Had to pull the stereo out and unplug it to stop it. I went back to the guy that fitting it and he went 'My dear if I'd know THAT was the sort of music you listerned to I would have recommended you got an amp!' :lol: :lol:

Just want to get it right this time :roll:

What is the spec of the radio? Mono? Stereo? Does it have an input socket? If it's mono then one single 4 or 8 ohm speaker. Stereo, then 2 times 4 or 8 ohm speakers. That's all that radio will power. You cannot use multiple speakers as you will lower the impedance and increase the current which is what blows your radio. I don't doubt that someone on here will tell me I'm talking through the top of my head, but I spent many years installing and maintaining what today we call "period radio's" and I never had a failure. :mrgreen:

Clarkson46 said:
What is the spec of the radio? Mono? Stereo? Does it have an input socket? If it's mono then one single 4 or 8 ohm speaker. Stereo, then 2 times 4 or 8 ohm speakers. That's all that radio will power. You cannot use multiple speakers as you will lower the impedance and increase the current which is what blows your radio. I don't doubt that someone on here will tell me I'm talking through the top of my head, but I spent many years installing and maintaining what today we call "period radio's" and I never had a failure. :mrgreen:

Makes sense to me.

I would have thought it would be easier and more efficient to add a stereo in the glovebox to do all the hard work, it will be able to handle your demands then. An amp will be needed if you expect to get a large amount of bass but I am always surprised how good a well placed pair of 6x9's can sound off a modern head unit (Alpine would be my choice).

Good luck.

Jon

Clarkson46 said:
I don't doubt that someone on here will tell me I'm talking through the top of my head,

why would you say that? i was going to say thats exactly right.

any modern speaker should do the trick, my radio is mono, but has the nice ipod connector :wink:

Clarkson46 said:

You sound to me like a man who knows exactly what he's talking about :mrgreen: Well you all sound like you know more about it than I do and all your advice is very gratefully recieved.

But I admit to being totally thick about this :(

I bought the radio off ebay, thinking it would look lovely and how nice it would be to have a period radio, I asumed as the seller was recommending using an Mp3 with it that it would all be very straight foward, which I'm sure it is. :?

But I am worried about over powering the radio and what you say about the current etc sound dead right to me. I guess it's a stereo radio, but I'm not totally sure?

backofradio.gif

frontofradio.gif

So if it's stereo I can run two speakers, got that, but ohm? When I look on websites at speakers they seem to sell them by the inch, the cm or the watt. Could you please recommend a combined wattage NOT to go over?

And would fitting an amp help or not? Could I have more speakers if I had an amp? Or won't that work :?

Sorry for being such a major twit :oops:

The radio in mono so you can only run one speaker. All speakers will be either 4 or 8 ohms, either will do. As for watts if a speaker is rated at 50 watts then that is the maximum power it can absorb. Your radio will only output something like 3 to 5 watts so using a larger rated speaker will not over load it, equally there nothing to be gained by having a 50 watt speaker on a 5 watt radio. Some will argue differently, but when asked why, they don't know. Personally, I would either fit the radio as a period accessory or sell it on at a profit and fit a modern stereo with MP3 capability in the glove box. The DIN socket on the back was originally intended for the external cassette player that was the norm at that time.

Thanks for the help, and sorry to be so dim.

Looks like I need to scratch my head over it a bit longer and decide what I want to do. Would be nice to have the best of both worlds but sounds like that may no be possible. :roll:

Cheers :p

You're not dim. It's just that technology has moved on light years since that radio was built and there is no real reverse compatibility. Today we have come to accept digital technology without question. Remember three whole generations of technology have come and gone since that radio was built, Vinyl records (there was a car player for 45's), 8 track tape and cassette tapes. Even Mini disc and CD's are on the wane.

What Clarkson says is completely correct. I used a 50 watt speaker that i had lying around, in the knowledge that theres no possible way it could be blown etc. If you buy a decent single speaker i dont think youll notice the difference between mono and stereo unless your a complete audiophile. I understand that youll want tunes when your parked up i would suggest having two systems, run a more modern one alongside your classic stereo.

There is also the option of having the internal gubbings completely replaced in your stereo, you can even have a full DAB stereo radio inside your classic stereo and keep the tuning face lighting and buttons which all work with it. Its not cheap and will cost as much as a top of the range stereo to do (£250) but it can be done. PM me if you need details.

the DIN socket can take input from any MP3 player using a minijack to DIN cable. You can find lots of these on Ebay for peanuts. My last one was a fiver, sold it along with my bug.

Cheers Johnny (and Clarkson) that's lots of really good info. :D

Replacing the working parts of the radio does sound good, like you say that's the sort of money you'd spend on a new system anyway. Presumably I'd be able to run it like a modern stereo then with plenty of speakers?

I really want to get a decend sound,don't get me wrong, I'm not mad on major bass and don't want to fill the boot with subwoofer, but we would like to be able to get good sound for everyone, front and rear whilst on the move on those long journeys.

warwick71 said:
Cheers Johnny (and Clarkson) that's lots of really good info. :D

Replacing the working parts of the radio does sound good, like you say that's the sort of money you'd spend on a new system anyway. Presumably I'd be able to run it like a modern stereo then with plenty of speakers?

I really want to get a decend sound,don't get me wrong, I'm not mad on major bass and don't want to fill the boot with subwoofer, but we would like to be able to get good sound for everyone, front and rear whilst on the move on those long journeys.

then you would need to run two systems or do the internal replacement on your old stereo. If you run another modern stereo from the glove box theres not much point in even wiring up the old one? ive PMd you the number for Adrian who does the conversions/repairs, he can give you advice on what would best suit your needs.

From what i gather you can get a full Digital Stereo (DAB is much better quality than FM stereo) with full stereo that will run the front and rear speakers you need.

Hi johnny, thanks for the number :wink:
I will defo be in touch when I have the cash (have service and MOT car this month :( ) it is certainly a job for the quite months.

I really like the idea of having the power of a modern stereo but the look of a vintage radio, uber uber cool. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Many thanks again for the top tip, this place is just such a goldmine of info 8) :mrgreen:

Latest posts