How much are bay's really worth?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt, insurers are in the business of making money so they'll take your throat out at the first opportunity, whoever you are, whatever you've spent or how much work you've put into your bus.
The old saying 'money is the route of all evil ' seems to be bringing a downer on the forum which is usually an uplifting place .
All the guys responding to this thread have a right to their opinion but to me I can't see past the value of my bus being the feeling I get when I'm trundling down the road with a smile on my chops.
Whatever the insurers would give me in the event of a serious accident or theft would never get close to paying me back for the time and graft put in so I'm just going to get out of it what I can , while I can.
All insurers have different rules , regs, etc, all applied to make money, - perhaps they need to get away for a week or so in a bus, have a few beers with some of the guys on here and maybe then they would understand a bit more about buses and what they are really worth .
Just my tuppence worth........

Morning guys. Thanks for all the posts

I have never suggested time and effort will ever be included and note that the amount spent on a bus doesnot necessarily represent the resale and thus true value.

My concern is what the van is worth (presumably in a fair sale in a reasonable market) and very importantly when you get an 'agreed value' policy does this value equal the same value as what you can buy to replace it assuming a fair sale in a reasonable market.

This morning I am sat in a friends workshop up in Shropshire. Behind my t25 is a nice blue on. I know what the owner paid; what it looked like in the pics and to be fair what is looks like from 5 paces. Not bad. Now, it actually needs the bottom 6" doings magnets don't hold to re body below this.....

So, 2 points. It is insured for what a nice camper is worth. If it gets pinched the owner will able to get another but better example -why, because the insurance as for 6 pics to set the value. If it gets restored, the value may rise a small amount but no where close to the actual cost into the van -accepted.

This is probably the only time I see a win for the owner.

Now conversely, if the van was mint it would still probably be valued as a nice van. Owner if mint van gas their vehicle stolen and get under paid by insurance and they loose.

My view is that 6 pics us not sufficient to value a vehicle and that I am concerned the underwriters don't get it right all the time.

Now this then comes back to what the vehicle is worth and who is best suited t value it.

Can we go back to the example I posted yesterday and see what the average forum member thinks it is worth (the good project which ends up costing 19k but I suspect is worth 14k). Is it worth 14k or more or less.

I apologise in advance for an spelling or format errors as this reply is typed on my mobile. I'll check back later but for now have front panel and wheel arch to look t.

Left hook panel van $7 Thousand dollars.
I have family in Ohio....I love this!!!!!
A nice van me thinks. 8)

http://s1263.beta.photobucket.com/user/craigontheboat/library/68%20Panel?evt=email_share" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4labdZVn-yg&list=UUo7hZSWCPzelfRLZp2rXJtQ&index=1&feature=plpp_video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is it worth it in "your opinion." ??

Break it down to UK + Importing etc...what is the price then??

mattp said:
Can we go back to the example I posted yesterday and see what the average forum member thinks it is worth (the good project which ends up costing 19k but I suspect is worth 14k). Is it worth 14k or more or less.

White westy pop top, all the suspension mods and running gear sorted etc etc? If the owner had spent out £19k on it, then thats the reasonable amount for it to be insured for for him to be able to reasonably replace it, assuming the route of a self build from import is followed.
On the open market as a van for sale at the moment I'd say you'd be lucky to get the £14k ... as its been said before, insured value and market value is different imo. The market is pretty flat right now, theres a van for sale on the forum right now thats been advertised for ages ... a few years ago the original seller named his price and was beating away potential buyers with a nos og stick.

Clem said:
... as its been said before, insured value and market value is different imo. The market is pretty flat right now, theres a van for sale on the forum right now thats been advertised for ages ... a few years ago the original seller named his price and was beating away potential buyers with a nos og stick.

Well said. And market value is bus specific given that it is negotiated by an actual willing seller and buyer. Insurance value has to be more generic.

BTW, where are those sticks available? :D

My much beloved van.... if ever I part with, for whatever reason (too old or big to get into).... will hopefully be worth a trip to see the great wall of China ...

If price I achieve is high... then I'll take the whole family (less the dog... given the cuisine; can't be too careful) and stay 4 star

If price is low.... inter-rail and formula 1 hotels en route

Clem said:
White westy pop top, all the suspension mods and running gear sorted etc etc? If the owner had spent out £19k on it, then thats the reasonable amount for it to be insured for for him to be able to reasonably replace it, assuming the route of a self build from import is followed.
On the open market as a van for sale at the moment I'd say you'd be lucky to get the £14k ... as its been said before, insured value and market value is different imo. The market is pretty flat right now, theres a van for sale on the forum right now thats been advertised for ages ... a few years ago the original seller named his price and was beating away potential buyers with a nos og stick.

Four pages of rather confused discussion, and one short post answers the original question perfectly. Simple question, simple but intellegent and accurate answer. 8)

Now that really was a great thread to read just before going to bed ;) As I`m a bit buggered up with jet lag at the mo :roll:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Should doze off nicely now :mrgreen:

Latest posts