How much is too much for a chair

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it to much

• Yes you freak

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No of course not you sexy beast

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
OK well today i went into the furniture shop they make kitchens and everything really, left the plans for the chair with the guy and he rang me up and said they could make it but it will take for ever and cost loads so they can't really do it, I asked him what is loads as I said if I managed to buy one it would cost £575 but i think he is really busy so I guess making one chair is not good time management for him :(

But the quest goes on, I wanna make it myself but don't have the tools....grrr or room.

so if anyone on here is a good furniture maker and is will to make one at an agreed price we should talk :D

Tools - Tennon saw
Cross cut saw
Bit and brace
Workmate
Sash clamps
Materials - Wood of your choice
Dowelling
Glue
Paint or laquer
Time - one day to build
two to three days to paint
jobs a good un :wink:

Satisfaction when the mother in law sits on it and it collapses in a pile :lol:

Difficult one... nearly £600 is a lot for something that will only ever be a copy....
However... if it was an original... go for it every single time...

But who am I to talk... as Ive had a plastic porsche :lol:

I'd love a Le Corbusier chair... the cube one, there were so many copies made in the 60s and are still being made that I dont know why Ive never gone for it.

As for the house building comments... things have been changing for the past few years, not so much with your barrat/wimpey/standard cavity wall construction type homes. But definitely with apartments and timber framed buildings. Even this year the changes in the direction of eco homes have been very swift... but tbh its mostly on the inside as nobody really wants to buy a house that doesnt look like a house on the outsede so that is what stems the tide........

Hmmmm... think I'm rambling now...

I do believe the whole eco housing thing is the new movement for houses, and flats seem to be the new social housing of the future I live in northampton and they have just built an amazing new block of flats and also done up another old factory build which i hope to move in to, I guess there is something out there for everyone really.

Any one know how to get hold of some good quality oak?

I agree it's not all bad and quite a few people have got their heads screwed on but good (aesthetically/ethically) housing is still an exception rather than the norm. We're well behind most of our European neighbours. Check out what Hundertwasser was doing with social housing in Germany and Austria more than 30 years ago.
We have low expectations in this country and consequently our environment (not in an ecological sense) is generally very unimaginative.

Don't know about the Oak though!

OK well i got a book on how to make Rietveld furniture :D so I am gonna start with the chair, its so easy to make :D just gotta buy a few tools, so I will post some pics if anyone is interested I can put a VW badge on it if it makes it any better :D

Hello people, ok well i have made my chair :D the frame is oak and the flat panels are ply wood, like the original, but I now want to paint it it also has a lacquer to give a glass like finish, now does anyone know how I should go about doing this?

you could have saved some money and made one like this :D

http://www.droogdesign.nl/#frames(lb=lb.php?r=218&f=2,rb=rb.php?r=13&f=2&s=1a)

you may need to copy & paste the link

This company should be able to supply all you need
Their products may be found at a trader near you
The guy behind the counter of my local Mylands is very
knowledgable & will advise on products & how to use them

http://www.mylands.co.uk/

That is perfect thank you, just what I was looking for :D

Now a lego chair would of been much cooler and no painting, I think I missed a trick there :D

Here we GO!

100_7803.jpg

Looks C@@L, but a tad hard :wink:

Satin black would look nice - use one of those 'Plasticote' spray can thingy's as it should
also help it to be scratch ressistant!! :shock:

Latest posts