How to get Dizzy Out of case ...?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr1ncognit0

Reaction score
Hi Chaps...... Just been out in the garage with the intention of getting the dizzy out the case before giving it a good clean and prep before repaint.

Here is where my problems began..... It won't shift... for this amateur anyway. I started taking it apart from the top... until I got to a bit which required tweezers to take the spring off.... then a bit that just kept spinning as it is connected directly to the distributor shaft underneath.... stuck!

Sideways view showing the rod and I have removed the fuel guide... have an electric fuel pump so will probably leave it out of rebuild...

I have trawled the internet and there is no one who can provide pointers to take it apart.... well unless of course you drive an MX5 ... this not being an MX5 I am still stuck.

Looking forward to receiving any tips

There's a clamp at the base that you need to loosen off then it should pull out.
The clamp attaches to the case behind the dizzy.

Edit: I see from the pics you have undone these. A strong tug should bring the dizzy out

Once you have undone the clamp nut (which fixes the clamp to the case) as the clamp will come out with the dizzy. The clamp but which is shown nearest the camera is simply for advancing and retarding the timing. The whole dizzy should lift out (with clamp). There is only an 'O' ring around seal on the dizzy shaft. Has it lifted at all?? Ben

It has not shifted at all...., it will turn, but that is very tight. I have put one hand on the case and grabbed the dizzy and pulled up as hard as I could... to point of shaking pain and groaning ... nothing... I am not too weak either so was waiting for the thing to break...

Is there anywhere I could lever it up, I wonder if the O ring is just well fitted and needs some assistance?

I've had a closer look at pics and noticed you got both nuts off as Gvee mentioned.
I'd be tempted to refit the clamp nut and tighten the clamp to the dizzy. Then ensure bracket is not catching on thread of case stud (unlikely). Check the bracket is free, screwdriver underneath fixing nut area.
Gentle/quick tap on the bottom of the dizzy with a nylon faced hammer or lump of soft wood & hammer. If you case isn't fixed down can be a pain in the arse!

Thank you sooooo much for the hints and tips... give me the confident to "Assist it"... with a little leverage (Massive nail bar).... and a wack.... admittedly quite a few strong ones with my mallet.... to the point that the handle split... Never mind time to stop using my tent peg mallet for heavy mechanics!

Step 1:

It moved!!

All out!!

Thanks so much Bay_low71 and Gzee for the tips!

Mr1

Latest posts