How to Register an Import with the DVLA

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev946

Reaction score
I'm sure there's loads of threads on this but can someone please tell me the proceedure. I've read through the DVLA website and it's very confusing as it talks about Typre Approval and Mutual Recognition.

I've not got my MOT. THe van came with the NOVA certificate showing the duty was paid and I have the original title from the USA showing year of manufacture etc.

I can see I need to order an Import Pack, why on earth I can't just download the form I don't know.

Advice how to do it would be greatly appreciated.

I found this thread http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35853&hilit=v55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also found this comment below, so quetion is do I need to have the vahicle insured or not? Do they look up on a database. I have the van insured as an offroad insurance.

Just to add completeness to this thread,

I called the DVLA vehicle registration group at 03007906802 to make sure what documents need to be sent in (as I had a question regarding insurance):

V55/5 form
Photocopy of front of photo drivers licence
Photocopy of NOVA letter
Original MOT certificate
Original US Title document (include a note to have the document returned)
Cheque of £55 for registration fee

There is no need for proof of insurance documentation anymore!

The turnaround for the important documents - reg no and tax disc is 10 working days (tax discs will be phased out from October 1st) you can drive once you have this information and your plates made up.
After another two weeks you should get all the remaining documentation.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Just tried calling the DVLA and got a guy with such an attitude. He read out a list of what I needed, with bad advice, telling me I needed to contact HMRC for example. When I asked a question he said please wait till I've finished. Such an idiot. He confirmed they do not need proof of insurance but I'm still not sure if they check the database. I asked him if they do and he said yes, but I don't believe him.
Do they send their advisors to special charm school.

The reason the V55/5 form needs to be posted is its a carbon multiple copy form. Wow not seen one of those in years. The DVLA are really in the dark ages.

Also, I still don't know whether I need to try and get the van insured for road use.

Anyone else know.

I was in the same boat as you but it really is easy.

You need to insure it on the chassis number (ca only do this for a month) and then you can drive it to a pre booked mot which then you mot it on the chassis number then fill out the form and send it all off.

Graham on here is really helpful and if you are struggling I'm sure he wil give you advice on what to fill in as he did me and im sure many others.

Good luck with the process!

dazza1975 said:
I was in the same boat as you but it really is easy.

You need to insure it on the chassis number (ca only do this for a month) and then you can drive it to a pre booked mot which then you mot it on the chassis number then fill out the form and send it all off.

Graham on here is really helpful and if you are struggling I'm sure he wil give you advice on what to fill in as he did me and im sure many others.

Good luck with the process!

Thanks. I've got it MOT'd. The guy from the MOT station collected it for me. The question is do I need insurance to get it registered. DVLA do not need proof but wonder if they check. I don't really want to insure it for the road yet as it's not ready to be driven, still a shell.

You won't get road tax without insurance so i guess you need to insure it. Once its registered you just have to ring the insurance company up and add the reg plate.

dazza1975 said:
You won't get road tax without insurance so i guess you need to insure it. Once its registered you just have to ring the insurance company up and add the reg plate.

It should be tax exempt and as mentioned I've no intention driving it on the road for some time as I'm starting the body restoration so the engine is coming out this weekend.

So just wondered if I need to insure it. I might just get it covered for 1 month whilst I register it just in case

Tax exempt still needs tax!
When I did mine I got her insured, registered, taxed etc and when on road strip the shit out if her and did a resto.
Did mine on drive so had peace of mind that she was insured. Not cost a couple of hundred a year compared to loosing a few bits nether mind the lot.

Any how, think you need to I sure to register as you need mot an tax to get the registration.

dazza1975 said:
Tax exempt still needs tax!
When I did mine I got her insured, registered, taxed etc and when on road strip the shit out if her and did a resto.
Did mine on drive so had peace of mind that she was insured. Not cost a couple of hundred a year compared to loosing a few bits nether mind the lot.

Any how, think you need to I sure to register as you need mot an tax to get the registration.

You can't tax a vehicle that isn't registered can you?

As I say the van will be off the road for up to a year whilst the body is restored so not really bothered about tax and insurance just want to get the v5 before I start.

Your first tax disc is including within the first registration process with the DVLA, once they have your paperwork they issue you with a number and the vehicle will be taxed from that point. You still need insurance as whilst they dont need proof they check online via the MID database.

Graham L said:
Your first tax disc is including within the first registration process with the DVLA, once they have your paperwork they issue you with a number and the vehicle will be taxed from that point. You still need insurance as whilst they dont need proof they check online via the MID database.

Thanks Graham I suspected so. I'll get it insured for a month whilst it is registered.

I still don't understand why they need it insured as I can't be driven until a reg is allocated.

Latest posts