NOVA Nightmare. Info for imports.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trinketpimp

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
Read on if you are to register an import and you have no NOVA......

Mine was an odd case but don't get caught out. I bought my bus from a chap who had bought it from the chap who imported it, it turned up with just a photo-copy of the import paper from the shipping company and a reciept from chap One to say he had paid all import duty.

Here's the rub, to register your bus you need a certificate from the NOVA clan or the shipping company. Now the hard part;
by law if you are not the chap who imported the bus, said shipping company will not give you the certificates no-matter how much you explain your dilema... I was able to track him down and pester him to death until he could be arsed to ring Penguine-shipping. If he had died or moved in the Two years hence I would of had to pay the import duties again and they would trowser the money twice !

Now if you have your certificate and proof of ownership etc you send it all in by E-mail. They have an arse of a policy that they do not reply to E-mails' so you will not know if you have sent enough to get the ball rolling. They have a rolling progame where they deal with all applications 3 days after they get it so give them a ring after Two days and get them to check and give you a case number that you can quote each time. Do your best to get all in hand before you start as they throw out your application after 14 days and you need to start again, bear in mind you are 3 days down before you start!!

Hope this helps and best of luck to any about to tread the path...

E-mail address is, [email protected]

Phone, 03000579069.

Not in anyway saying the above post is wrong but its equally as bad. I work in payroll and have to deal with HMRC often and if they tell me something I don't like or I don't want to hear as my brain is saying 'hmmm that doesn't sound right' at least 80% of the time the next person will tell you something different.

So my advice would be to phone again 20 minutes later. You never know you might speak to the cluess ones I do and get a different answer!

I'm sorry but not sure what point you are trying to make here?, never buy a bus that has been imported with photocopies of import documents or even worse with no import docs at at as you will end up paying duty twice, photocopies have never been accepted by DVLA even before NOVA was introduced.

Since NOVA was introduced I have steered quite a few people on this forum to the HMRC office in Salford who have sorted out a NOVA letter for them due to their bus being imported before it changed and they had the old import certificate, in all cases a letter has arrived in 7 days which for a government agency is a good response.

Does anybody have a link or know what form number needs to filled in and sent to the car team, i have emailed them but as yet no response, hoping to have my van MOTed by end of the week and them DVLA for log book and reg

I've just got my bus MOT'd and insured, and now have to get it registered, and I too noticed the phrase 'NOVA' splattered all over the DVLA site when I was looking at it earlier today.

I bought my bus from a guy in the Netherlands (about 6+ years ago) - the bus was originally from Germany (not US) - so would it be exempt from NOVA (aswell as VAT)?

I have the Dutch registration doc - but there were never any import papers required when it was driven back from Netherlands.

I should be ok just completing the V55/5 shouldn't I (I have the birth certificate from VW, MOT, insurance etc), or should I get worried...

Best tip I can give is to ring the number I gave above before you send the blighter off as it's an arse to sort if you need to do within the 14 days and if you can't show tax was paid the nova people will ask you to pay it....

Hi,

I just called DVLA - to ensure I was sending in correct doc's - and I'm sure they've given me bullsh1t. They said I have to declare the vehicle via HMRC - even though my bus was from Germany and imported personally 7/8 years ago.

I called HMRC - and they don't seem to give a stuff when the vehicle was brought in, how old it is etc etc... So, on their advice (if you can call it that) I began self-notification via their web-site, but to be honest, I don't want to submit something that I don't have to do (and then get stung for import duties that weren't/aren't applicable).

Can anybody advise here as I'm totally lost!

Thank you,

Mike

Hi Mike

As DVLA need proof that no duty us due or anything I'm sure it needs to be registered on the NOVA system at HMRC in Salford so they can issue a letter that the DVLA will accept, it's slightly different to US imports.

Possibly worth contacting Supertramp on here ( paddy) as he recently brought a bus in from Holland and I'm sure got a NOVA letter so he could register it.

Hope that help?

Thanks G. Will do.

I saved the nova application online, just hadn't submitted it until I was 100% sure I wouldn't be opening a can of worms for myself :)

Oh the joy of first registration :(

I've got my westy to mot and register next week and the DMV have added an extra number in on the title document which has then been copied over by the shipper onto the forms for the import duty. Everythings been paid but but its all bassed on a chassis number with an extra didget which wont apear on my MOT certificate or VIN plate.

fingers crossed

FYI: I completed my NOVA application via the HMRC website this morning.

At the final summary stage - prior to submitting my application it clearly stated that no VAT was due regarding my bus - which is at least initially reassuring :)

Now to send off the V55/5 - even though I can't see any reference to NOVA on the V55/5 form - I guess DVLA cross reference the NOVA when they receive the V55/5?

Cheers. Mike

HI Mike,

what's the NOVA page? I paid my tax with HMRC and got a C6 or something form a sheet of paper with C6 printed all over it, but nothing mentioning NOVA...
Is there another step I need to do before first registration?

Cheers

Andy

Andy

NOVA came in from April 2013 if you imported your bus before that but not registered it yet you need to contact the NOVA office at Salford to get a NOVA number otherwise you wont be able to register it. As long as you have the original customs paperwork its not a problem and a letter gets issued within 7 days.

mcvw said:
FYI: I completed my NOVA application via the HMRC website this morning.

At the final summary stage - prior to submitting my application it clearly stated that no VAT was due regarding my bus - which is at least initially reassuring :)

Now to send off the V55/5 - even though I can't see any reference to NOVA on the V55/5 form - I guess DVLA cross reference the NOVA when they receive the V55/5?

Cheers. Mike

I had that concern so rang the DVLA and they just check it online, you don't have to do anything about it from this point.
Congrats on getting it done, couple of days and it should be registered!

Hi Graham,

Thanks, I think I imported in January 2013 and talked to the guys at Salford then to get my duty sorted. Dont' remember anything having NOVA written on it. so will give them a call to make sure.

I rather make sure I have a number than find out halfways through registration that I get get it registered...

Cheers.

Andy

Ok just called the cars team of the HMRC in Salford on 0161 261 5157 regarding my pre April 2013 import from the US. Got an answer right away no waiting in queues.

I will need a NOVA letter from them so they asked me to send them an email to <[email protected]>;
with a scan of my C386 form (letter stating I paid my 5% VAT on importation) and copy of the vehicle title from the US (proof of ownership) then they'll issue me with a NOVA letter for the DVLA within a week.

Hope this helps anybody else out there.

Thanks for the heads up Graham!

Andy

It came in from April/May 2013 so you will definitely need to get it on the system, the DVLA no longer accept the customs form you have, it has to be on NOVA.

70-CA-Panel said:
Ok just called the cars team of the HMRC in Salford on 0161 261 5157 regarding my pre April 2013 import from the US. Got an answer right away no waiting in queues.

I will need a NOVA letter from them so they asked me to send them an email to <[email protected]>;
with a scan of my C386 form (letter stating I paid my 5% VAT on importation) and copy of the vehicle title from the US (proof of ownership) then they'll issue me with a NOVA letter for the DVLA within a week.

Hope this helps anybody else out there.

Thanks for the heads up Graham!

Andy

Just do it online?

Keep this One going chaps, the more info that can be pooled and called upon by those that follow the better. if only I had know to get in touch with Graham, I also, could of saved some stress.....On that subject he has on here, a great link to a simple copy of a v55/5 form and how/ what to fill in, can't remember where but know he will post a link if and when he reads this... :lol:

Latest posts