NOVA Nightmare. Info for imports.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean thus thread here, couple of year old but I think still valid http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35853&hilit=Filling+in+v55%2F5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If it came via Kingstown they will send you the docs in the post by recorded delivery but you will have to wait for the nova letter to arrive from the HMRC, my last one took nearly 6 weeks

I contacted the nova team when i found out about it earlier in the year as i imported my van from europe about 2 years ago and its sat since. I have an email from them saying as it was imported before the nova date i dont need to apply for one until i am ready to register it, so basically everything will need a nova no matter when it came into the country, but if it came in to the uk before the date nova became compulsory you dont need to apply for one until you are ready to register it. I phoned because i saw the bit about a fine if you dont have a nova.

this bit lifted from the nova info page:

Notifying HMRC of vehicles brought into the UK
Vehicles brought permanently into the UK must be notified to HMRC within 14 days and any VAT due paid or accounted for. This means that you will not be able to register and license your vehicle(s) with DVLA or DVA until you have received confirmation from HMRC that your notification has been processed. The vehicle(s) must be for use in your business or onward sale by your business.
The quickest and easiest way to make your notification is online. By making an online notification you will usually receive an immediate acknowledgement from HMRC and calculation of any VAT due. You can notify up to 100 vehicles in 1 submission. If you're a VAT registered business notifying multiple vehicles of the same type you may be able to attach a spreadsheet to your online notification, or use the multiplication facility within the NOVA online service.
Find out more about telling HMRC you're importing multiple vehicles on the GOV.UK website (Opens new window)
You can also make your notification by completing a paper form (VAT NOVA1) and returning it to HMRC. You must phone the VAT Helpline to request a form VAT NOVA1.
A tax agent, adviser or a freight forwarding agent can make a notification on your behalf but if you are a VAT registered business then the agent must be registered as an online agent with HMRC

Information you need to notify a vehicle
To make a notification you need to have detailed information available including:
the make, model, engine size and body type of your vehicle
the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
the existing registration number of the vehicle (if applicable)
the value of the vehicle
mileage details
details of your supplier for vehicles from within the EU
the import entry number and the commodity code for vehicles from outside the EU
Please note that this list is not exhaustive and you may need additional information to make your notification.

Hey Hogseye,

Make sure you request your NOVA number well before you're ready to register as it takes them at least a week to get the number to you.

I'm waiting on mine, you can follow up on your emails/requests by phoning the number I posted earlier.

Best of Luck

Andy

Cheers Andy I still ain't started my resto (had it 2 years :roll: ) and I am reckoning on 2 years to restore so I have plenty of time :lol: got a feeling there is a time life on the nova (might be wrong) so no point going for it until I need it

Graham L said:
If it came via Kingstown they will send you the docs in the post by recorded delivery but you will have to wait for the nova letter to arrive from the HMRC, my last one took nearly 6 weeks

Oh cool, that's good to know. I just contacted Kingstown via email so, they'll probably tell me what you said :)

Thanks Graham.

Just to add completeness to this thread,

I called the DVLA vehicle registration group at 03007906802 to make sure what documents need to be sent in (as I had a question regarding insurance):

V55/5 form
Photocopy of front of photo drivers licence
Photocopy of NOVA letter
Original MOT certificate
Original US Title document (include a note to have the document returned)
Cheque of £55 for registration fee

There is no need for proof of insurance documentation anymore!

The turnaround for the important documents - reg no and tax disc is 10 working days (tax discs will be phased out from October 1st) you can drive once you have this information and your plates made up.
After another two weeks you should get all the remaining documentation.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Latest posts