Hugo 71 Microbus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimVeeW

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum and have a 71 Microbus, looking to mod it up and looking forward to some ideas, tips and advice.

Bus is an ex-California and I’ve removed the interior so it’s effectively a blank canvas, mods so far are a wooden wheel, Scat gear change and some T4 Captains seats yet to be installed. It’s currently sitting at Manflowers for a tune, electronic ignition and oil change.

Next jobs will be adjustable front beam and rear spring plates.

Cheers
Jim

Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of advice and tips on here. Use the search facility and you probably find the answer to your question.
[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks guys looking forward to spending more money than I was expecting too with all the good ideas n stuff lol

Getting there...CE 4” narrowed beam, adjustable spring plates fitted now. Had to have a new fuel tank fitted due to the tar and crap in there plus a new clutch while the engine was out as it was knackered.

Hi Jim. It’s your bus. You feel your way. Look for influences and what other’s have done and achieved. But mainly, trust self instincts. The lights will shine brightly when you realise ‘Yes! That’s exactly it’. You’ll tweak and individualise and sigh happily. It’ll be hard won, coz these old buses? They’re old and temperamental. But....As said.....It’s your bus. You have to live in it and with it. You’ll know what feels right. We all do on here. Welcome to the madhouse!

Edited to say ‘Hi Jim’. Very rude not to acknowledge name. 😉

Loom done, switches replaced in the dash and makes a big difference, Pertronix dizzy fitted too, fuel filter relocated, new fuel hose and general tidy up of the engine bay.

Got my hands on a “spare “ engine to strip and rebuild as a 1776. Told swmbo that I wouldn’t touch it for a few months but had to have a quick 10 minute trip to the garage for a look lol. Touch rusty but some of the bits will be swapped out ie pistons and barrels. Looking at Coolair to do the machining work on the case.

Just had a delivery of parts, 90.5 Scat pro-street cylinder heads, 90.5 Mahle P&B, 69mm crank, 1:25 rockers but changed to 1:1, pertronix dizzy, leads and coil, flywheel, starter, clutch, bits and bobs. Just deciding what camshaft to go for and probably go for a Engle W110.

Latest posts