i dont want my poptop...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

konaboy6284

Reaction score
eyup, got a '73 late bay tintop and a '72 crossover devon moonraker poptop..

i love the tintops, my favourite of all buses, always have been!
and have seen many a thread on forums about people converting tintops to poptops. (sacrilege in my opinion!!)
but i want to do the opposite. i dont want my poptop. wouldnt mind a sliding sunroof, but the big lump of fibreglass is not my friend.
the bus has incredible sentimental value to me, so selling or p/x for a tintop isnt an option.

i was wondering if anyone had done a conversion of this nature to their bus, or had any ideas/opinions?
would be nice to here what you guys have to say :)
cheers

Hello mate
Never heard this one! But i have seen full roof cuts for sale so all i would do is buy a full cut and get a good welder to fit it

Jim

If you want to replace the roof check out this thread

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26564&hilit=citrus+valley" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gadget did it to the Citrus Valley bus - awsome work but fairly labour intensive.

Good luck 8)

I did mine exactly the same as Senor Gadget did his. My subframe was a little worse for wear than his though. It is loads and loads of spotwelds, and as I wasn`t as adept as gadget, I drilled all the spot welds on both roof`s because I wasn`t sure which way I was going with it. I put another roof on mine from a 72 Devon but was never happy with the pop top I had originally as it looked like a huge turtle humping the bus. I had planned to restore the Devon `crinkle cut' pop top but the actual design left a lot to be desired from my point of view. So I now have a 76 to 78 Devon pop top which is maybe one of the neater ones imho. :roll:
Now after reading your thread,, I`m starting to think along the same lines as you as I`m just not a pop top / sandwich box on the roof sort of person, and much prefer the cleaner look. So without changing the roof again, then there are a couple of options. Firstly cut the lip off on mine where the pop top sits against it and install a full length Webasto type sun roof / rag top and secondly there is a fibreglass over roof complete with gutters that`s available as a repair for a squiffy roof. Haven`t seen one in the flesh but I should imagine it to be a fairly simple operation. The fibreglass over roof or whatever it`s called, may need you to cut the original gutters off the bus, in which case I wouldn`t do it. At the moment, the sunroof is looking favourite and I beleive an outfit called Paris Sunroofs is the main peeps for them. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, How long till I change my mind ?????? :lol: :roll: :lol:

hia, could i have dibs on your pop top if your thinking of getting rid please.. thanks

I like the look of a tintop.

But I love the practicality of a pop top when camping. :mrgreen:

cheers for the replies guys!
and il look into those peeps about the ragtop, and the fibreglass appreciate the help :)
and yes mate you can have first refusal on the poptop, no problem!
i was hoping someone might be interested in it, as im going to need to make a bit of cash back on these soon!!
many thanks to you all :)

I've got a sliding fibreglass roof on my van.
Where abouts are you, if you're close enough you're welcome to have a look.
I'm near Peterborough.

Cheers Nige..

skin69 said:
I've got a sliding fibreglass roof on my van.
Where abouts are you, if you're close enough you're welcome to have a look.
I'm near Peterborough.

Cheers Nige..

a sliding fibreglass roof? how does that work then?
im in bristol buddy, unsure of how far away you are,
but thanks for the offer :)
do you have any pictures of that one?
it sounds interesting!

I had a Devon pop on mine agree tin top all the way so I made a white ragtop sunroof
Same as the Paris one gives the same flowing shape as tin top and I can get my roof rack on van look 100% better now in my opinion!

I'm glad this has come up on the forum, I have just removed the Devon poptop off my bus and found that some of the fibreglass is brittle and starting to crack in places,I was wondering if the sunroof option was another answer rather than trying to patch the original fibreglass structure.

Mike

jimbo4861 said:
Kon
check out e bay item no 151000381096

Jimbo

thanks man! il definitely keep my eye on that one :)

Rhodes4130 said:
I had a Devon pop on mine agree tin top all the way so I made a white ragtop sunroof
Same as the Paris one gives the same flowing shape as tin top and I can get my roof rack on van look 100% better now in my opinion!

ah thats awesome man, i didnt expect so many to share my opinion on this!!
very cool to here its been done, do you have a build thread/any pics of the process?
would be nice to see your bus :)

Here's a link to a few pics.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers

Nige..

I love my roof - but with your post I'm now picturing blasting along with the sunroof open :msn4: - like that fibreglass one - would be good to see some side profile shots (just out of interest - I'd get told off by family if I took the poptop off!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vw-t2-bus-type-2-van-bay-camper-complete-roof-cut-body-section-/151000381096?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item232852f6a8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts