Importing a bus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bajalegend

Reaction score
Help/advice needed please.

Looking at importing a bus from the U.S. have been in contact with seller and sorted shipping, costs, price etc just need to arrange payment.

What is the best/safest way to do this as I have no idea who the seller is.

Any assistance greatly recieved.

Thanks

It's a massive leap of faith basically!!!!
Exchange rates change daily!!
Shipping companies don't give exact prices!
And the waiting KILLS you!!!!

Does that help??? :lol:

I've mostly done a bank transfer direct to their account.
It is a massive leap of faith as stated above, but most people are genuine & honest and if you've done your homework & it's not a 'too good to be true' deal I wouldn't worry too much.

Get as much info as you can ie; address, phone numbers, email, photos (dozens!) Reaseach the vendor & any other sales he's made, when you're happy then it's time to leap!!
Oh, the waiting & worry when it's on the water is a killer!!
Hope this helps.
:)

I think if it was a dealer I would feel a bit better but still not 100 per cent. If your spending allot of money why not jump on a plane and see what your buying leave everything in place for the money to be sent while your there. If you type in importing a bus from USA on google there's lots of info on there. There was also a bus for sale think it was on here in Ireland and the guy selling it used an American dealer to look over it for him. Then you need to consider if it's worth all the hassle as there are lots of decent busses for good money over here right now, especially coming up to Xmas. Good luck with your search.

It's a stressful business alright... Took me a couple of attempts as my seller's bank gave him some weird number that wasn't an IBAN code. The payment got as far as his branch but was bounced. HSBC were most unhelpful... Got stung for two transaction fees. Bank apply a pretty harsh exchange rate buffer too.

Mine all turned out just fine but there were some sleepless nights. Fortunately the seller was a very patient guy. I had his home and work addresses, work email, phone and mobile. Even managed to get a work colleague to go see the bus and it was still a scary experience.

Overall, worth the effort if you've found a good bus for the right money :D

Banks are a very expensive way to do this as give a poor interest rate and charge a fee. (last week bank offered me 1.48 plus a £27 fee)

A money exchange company is far better for you cost wise but its a bit more of a risk. (can save you a few hundred) (offered 1.50 and no fee)

I am using:

http://www.torfx.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you do use them ask to speak to a Jerry Rowe and please say I recommended him (Alex Leiserach)

Payment direct to a bank account is THE only way to send the money, never use Western Union or similar as thats a cash transaction with very little papertrail. A seller has to declare hes sold the bus for tax purposes so he should give you his bank details.

Like Alex I dont use the bank but a provider called Moneycorp, much cheaper than the banks and an express payment only costs £9.

I went into my bank & did the transaction over the counter. I paid a transfer fee but it secured my money from fraud or theft.
As for shipping I paid £1300 all in & that was delivered to my front door.
As for the wait, start making lists of what you actually want to do to the bus & start pricing it up against other parts companies & before you know it the time has past.

There isn't a safe way, if it's a lot of money then spend the cash and fly over inspect and pay for it, if it's cheap it's a gamble, same as sending someone in this country money, scammers every where, see if they have sold to others in the UK, speak to previous buyers if there are any in the UK, chances are if they have sold lots of buses to UK buyers and had no problems you should be okay, I've imported quite a few buses in the past but would only deal with previous sellers or dealers, way to many scams about.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bajalegend said:

Looking at importing a bus from the U.S. have been in contact with seller and sorted shipping, costs, price etc just need to arrange payment.

Thanks

Tell us who the seller is or where he's from , there is a chance someone from the States that visits Earlybay.com know him and can tell you if he is honest or not.

ib-bus said:
Bajalegend said:

Thanks

Tell us who the seller is or where he's from , there is a chance someone from the States that visits Earlybay.com know him and can tell you if he is honest or not.

Good for you Juan, that`s a great idea :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I almost met you at Malvern matey :shock: :? :shock: :lol: :lol:

ozziedog said:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I almost met you at Malvern matey :shock: :? :shock: :lol: :lol:

I'll be at Malvern again next year , got my tickets booked 8)
Be nice to chat with you mate.

ib-bus said:
ozziedog said:

I'll be at Malvern again next year , got my tickets booked 8)
Be nice to chat with you mate.

Juan,, we started talking, then you had a customer come along ,, so I hung around for a bit,, then it looked like there was some business about to happen so I skinned out and side stepped and I waltzed past a couple of times but you were doin the biz so I didn`t get around to saying Hi. Next year I`ll make sure we hook up and I`ll make sure you spend some time learning the basics,, how to eat big styleeee and how to drink Stella,,,, It`s fairly easy if you have the right coach :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Hum,,, that`ll be me then :lol:

ozziedog said:
P.S. Are you OK with pizza,,,, cooked on the barby of course :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Nobody does it better :roll: ;) :roll:

I love Pizza dude , not too familiar with Stella but I'm sure I can be coached :mrgreen:

Yes it got busy specially since I was alone (all my mates flaked out last minute).
This time I will have some help (family) so I should have more time to chat and stroll the grounds during daytime not just at night.

Getting excited already.

Latest posts