Indicator dimmer switch or relay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcfmonkey

Reaction score
My lights are stuck on high beam. Should the "click" be felt in the indicator switch or will it come from the relay? I currently have no physical "click" at the indicator stalk and can't find out whether it's the relay that's broken or the indicator switch.

Cheers
Monkey

There should be a small click at the indicator switch when you select and deselect high beam as the switch operates. The relay should click as well when the contacts operate.
Do you know if it's possible to disassemble the indicator switch for repair as I'm getting a feeling that's where the problem is?

I tried this with mine, ('72 cross) when the high beam stopped. It's easy to dismantle but I have yet to find anything that can glue the broken plastic/nylon parts together and stay stuck when the cam/spring action occurs on operating. Ended up getting a preloved one to replace it with.
Yours may have a different fault but Brace yourself if you have to replace it. They are like rocking horse ...

The wires are soldered directly on to the switch contacts, with no strain relief, mine had broken off. Soft solder does not like vibration, so there is a chance the fix is simple.

Attachments

• IMG_3896.jpg
    IMG_3896.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 1
If the joint has lasted forty years that's a lot more than modern tech! Re solder and it's good for another fifty!

Latest posts