Indicator fault

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MELANTRAFALLS

Reaction score
Please help!

Were going to bustypes this weekend and have to get the mot sorted on our 72 crossover bay in time for the weekend but the indicators have started playing up. hopefully this makes sence?

First of all she had no indicators, checked the relay and from the look of the plastic it had obviously got hot. Also found the 5th fuse from the right in the fusebox blown.

Fitted a new relay and fuse and we now have lh indicators, but the rh ones still dont work? and the dash lights and rear lights flash slightly when you try and operate the rh indicators, and the speed of the flasher relay differs, it clicks slower.

replaced bulbs front and rear, no difference. cant see any wiring issues on indicator switch ( only replaced 12 months ago) and cant see any bare wires.

Have noticed when you operate the rh indicator the white wire from the hazard switch gets warm. Tried replacing the hazard switch but rh indicators still dont work.

have now found if you operate the hazard switch it blows the same fuse that i found blown before?

Has anyone come across this before? Have spoken to an auto electrition who can come and have a look thursday but this dosnt leave much time for mot and getting ready for the weekend?

I know that when you have a lamp (bulb) blown or bad connection then indicators tend to flash too fast - due to lack of current being drawn.
Yours sound like the opposite. i.e. you're drawing too much current.

This ties in with warm cable & blown fuse too.

I would check for an earth between the flasher unit & the lights themselves. All 4.
Look for anywhere a cable passes through or around any sharp metal.

Good luck. At least it's not intermittent.

Phil.

Your connections might be dirty had the same problem I had to take the bulbs out and change them take the backs of the indicators and clean those and the connections to the relay and the rear as well. The fuse will blow if you turn on the ignition with no bulb as the terminals short to the housing

MELANTRAFALLS said:
Please help!

Were going to bustypes this weekend and have to get the mot sorted on our 72 crossover bay in time for the weekend but the indicators have started playing up. hopefully this makes sence?

First of all she had no indicators, checked the relay and from the look of the plastic it had obviously got hot. Also found the 5th fuse from the right in the fusebox blown.

Fitted a new relay and fuse and we now have lh indicators, but the rh ones still dont work? and the dash lights and rear lights flash slightly when you try and operate the rh indicators, and the speed of the flasher relay differs, it clicks slower.

replaced bulbs front and rear, no difference. cant see any wiring issues on indicator switch ( only replaced 12 months ago) and cant see any bare wires.

Have noticed when you operate the rh indicator the white wire from the hazard switch gets warm. Tried replacing the hazard switch but rh indicators still dont work.

have now found if you operate the hazard switch it blows the same fuse that i found blown before?

Has anyone come across this before? Have spoken to an auto electrition who can come and have a look thursday but this dosnt leave much time for mot and getting ready for the weekend?

Hi,

Did you manage to get to the bottom of this? I've got a similar problem.

Latest posts