Insulating a bay,how have you guys done it?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubbedup67

Reaction score
As the title says.
I'm finally able to start building my interior but I wanted to insulate her 1st.
My van is literally bare so any ideas for side panels and floor insulation would be great

Cheers
Matt

sprayed sludge on all the panels, lined it with reflective insulation, the kind thats essentially foil backed thin foam. then all the cavities are filled with 15mm closed cell foam.

the whole lot is ply lined then carpeted.

nice and quiet, super insulated so temps are stable, tested in 40 deg heat and also camped a few nights last winter too easy

its a panel, though

cheers

Personally I don't get insulation in a camper. As soon as you lift the roof, all the heat goes out through the canvas.
Soundproofing yes, but not insulation.

Priscilla said:
Personally I don't get insulation in a camper. As soon as you lift the roof, all the heat goes out through the canvas.

This ^^

Plus I prefer the air to circulate, breathes better and rusts less :)

There's loads of info on the forums if you do a search - variety of different methods and theories.
Mine is a mixture of soundproofing and insulation:

small sections of flashing tape to act as sound deadening on the panels. Note you do not need to cover the whole panel with the tape as it's there to absorb the panel vibrations.

next was camping sleeping rolls cut up to fill all the cavities http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002MXJ7...nd=2605730211201849929&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=
B&Q had an offer on these last year super cheap so likely to run again now that summer is nearly over.

Finally on top of that I've used foil closed cell insulation roll, again from B&Q.

I think it's made a difference although not been camping in it and I don't have the interior in so still loads of engine noise. That's the next step....
hope this helps

Trikky2 said:
Priscilla said:

This ^^

Plus I prefer the air to circulate, breathes better and rusts less :)
Another vote for this. Pointless insulating a tiny camper and trapping in the moisture. Pads for the road noise. Eber to keep it warm and dry. 8)

As all the above, insulation not really required given the amount of holes/gaps etc. Sound proofing while driving is a yes though. But also as above you dont need to do the whole panel as its just to stop vibration. I read this page or two and it made perfect sense and wont weigh your bus down.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rockwool RWA 45 in 30mm slabs

• Excellent thermal, acoustic and fire insulation
Water repellent
• Resists high temperatures
• Easy to handle and install

and inexpensive too

The rockwool may not absorb the water, but it will trap it in place. If it is next to the metal panels then it will hold it there and allow the rot to set in.
As the others said, you need to let the air circulate behind the pannels to avoid rust. If you do want to mount some thermal insulation then cosider mounting it to the back of the trim pannels to leave an air gap to the metal body panels.

I am not sure, it will not sit on the base and will be attached from say 25mm. The panels are also in 2k paint and dinatrol so pretty sure things will be fine

The only time insulation works is when the cavity can breathe, and this means getting condensation traps - seriously it isn't worth it.

Sound proof, with pads and closed cell foam to reduce noise.
Heat rises so to aid slow your inevitable heat loss, an external insulated layer will help, but again be marginal. I am going to get one of these
[or was thinking about it...]

http://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlClassicParts.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/GuenzlClassicParts/Products/211000111" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dubdubz said:
. I am going to get one of these

http://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlClassicParts.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/GuenzlClassicParts/Products/211000111" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will be warmer but also more damp - its surprising how much moisture the human body puts out through skin and breathing - very noticeable in a small space.

Trikky2 said:
It will be warmer but also more damp - its surprising how much moisture the human body puts out through skin and breathing - very noticeable in a small space.

I agree. I treated my daughters to an emergency foil blanket each from poundland (yes, I know how to spoil them!) They were in the awning and they said that they were warm but damp. They were quite disgusted when I told them it was their own moisture!

nugsy said:
I read this page or two and it made perfect sense and wont weigh your bus down.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the tip Nugsy, have you put this into practice?

Trikky2 said:
dubdubz said:

It was on my mind - I've converted to the conti bed upstairs and the kids [11 and 8] sleep up there - it does get a bit cold for them BUT I was mindfull of the damp - so I was also considering a PC fan extraction system and also not going for a full wrap. I only need to raise the temp around 4 degrees to keep it comfortable for them.
I had though about just insulating the top and not the full canvas - create a pocket of warm air [possibly damp!] just above they're sleeping - through natural convection the sleeping area will remain nice but there would be natural ventilation through the canvas at their level??

i followed the advice in camper and bus here's a few pics

015.jpg

016.jpg

basically its the radiator foil from B&Q, the foam back not polystyrene type, use spray adhesive and the silver/metal tape used by pipe insulation company's. the insulations is for when its cold and the roofs down. JK do the window and pop top thermal matt's as well. cover everything to stop the heat excaping

No insulation at all - nothing whatsoever

Just a nice warm duvet over the sleeping bag and a decent tunes when driving, I have heard too many horror stories of "insulation" trapping moisture and being the enabler of rust.

Over the winter I will be fitting some flashband to reduce panel harmonics but nothing to do with keeping warm/reducing moisture!

dubdubz said:
Trikky2 said:
dubdubz said:

It was on my mind - I've converted to the conti bed upstairs and the kids [11 and 8] sleep up there - it does get a bit cold for them BUT I was mindfull of the damp - so I was also considering a PC fan extraction system and also not going for a full wrap. I only need to raise the temp around 4 degrees to keep it comfortable for them.
I had though about just insulating the top and not the full canvas - create a pocket of warm air [possibly damp!] just above they're sleeping - through natural convection the sleeping area will remain nice but there would be natural ventilation through the canvas at their level??

Why not just just get them winter weight sleeping bags? You wouldn't turn the central heating up at home when the nights get cooler, you would use warmer duvets, right? As you will not be carrying the sleeping bags (ie backpacking) weight is not an issue so you dont have to buy expensive down bags. As long as they are warm in their bed it doesn't really matter how cool it gets outside. :D

Latest posts