Insulating bus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nesquik

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm thinking of insulating my bus, even in summer time its chilly at night. :(
Anyone done this and have advice I've read a post from USA and he uses loft insulation.
http://www.type2.com/library/heat/intrir2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Many thanks

Nesquik

i would`nt be using that type of insulation as its like a sponge fella even if you do cover it in plastic like they have.......bad idea imho....theres better stuff on the market such as dynomat or even stuff that you put behind rads etc works well ....at the end of the day your bus will be cold whatever you put in it after all its only one skin of metal so blankets are the way to go :lol:

I agree with whats been said..... Waste of money insulating because of the single glazed windows. Spend your money on Dynomat sound proofing instead :D :D

What about insulation combined with thermo mats on the windows?

In the colder months, I prefer to camp at sites with electric hook up and use a convection heater. More cossie and less condensation.

As stated above, insulation isn't effective... I have about a dozen layers of bubble wrap on the sides and roof of my 'van and also use thermal blinds as curtains (but only because I haven't got around to putting curtain rails in yet!). I still seek extra heating at this time of year.

Look into fitting active heating in the form of a Propex or Eberspacher...

Cheers
Jim

My brothers just fitted sheeps wool insulation in his T5. i don't know if its made any difference yet tho

I have had a different experience from those above, having camped in the bus several times before and after insulating I can tell you it's made a big difference.
Sure the windows will let heat out but if you have decent lined curtains that fit proper (we've used push studs) that will make a big difference.

Few things to consider though - moisture and weight. Warm inside, cold outside = condensation and moisture so don't use anything that holds water or else she'll rot. This includes rockwool, pink batts and polystyrene. Best solution I could find was the foil bubble wrap type that they use in modern RV's. It will reflect heat back inside, doesn't hold moisture, is ultra light and has the same insulation properties as regular batts. If you can, make sure you do the roof too because that is where a lot of the heat escapes. Some people will also use the argument that it's not worth insulating if you have a pop top because there is no insulation in canvas...this is not necessarily true either, canvas is actually a good thermal barrier and will keep the heat in fairly well and if you have plastic sides you always have the option not to pop the top in extreme conditions. IMHO still worth insulating the rest of the van.

FYI got our insulation from here: http://www.westcountrycampervans.co.uk/van-insulation-foil-roll-for-vans-and-campervans/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as an added bonus it's cheep :msn4:

HTH's. Have fun.

Humps.

I used triple insulation, Tri foil with bi nylon matting. The Same sort of material that they wrap runners in once they have finnished the marathon. I brought a roll when we we at dubs a couple of years ago. Once cut to size with scissors, seal the edges with Silver gaffer tape. Really easy to fit! Works a treat : :D

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice, might try a few months without and see if its worth doing it.
Maybe some heavy tog quilts and me n the missus keeping warm with a bit of friction! :)
(wink wink nudge nudge)

Cheers
Nesquik

Latest posts