insulation

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDD106G

Reaction score
Hi can any body reccomend an insulation for my bus sides and floors .Ive looked at kingspan for the sides or wool material .And a reflective insulation that can be stuck down to the floors ,what does everybody else use .thanks ian

hia, it wont help, but we have nothing and camp in the winter, with 50% glass I didn't think would be worth it. like to hear what people are doing though.

Hi,

Here's how i did mine, I used this for sound deadening, which has considerable reduced the hollow sound when you tap on the outside of the bodywork:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/flashing-tape-225mm-x-10m/72438" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I heated it up with a heat gun and applied to the area, inc the bracing, also the area above the wheel arch. A double layer would improve things further no doubt, but as you cant access the area where the spare wheel fits as this is double skinned, the outer panel may still drum a little, i may apply some to this area, as it may well help still.

The front doors have had the sound proofing flashing fitted, then cavity waxing of the door inner, then finish with new plastic vapour guard all sealed in. The brown is the wax, not rust. The doors close nice, and sound more "solid" All other accessable panels have had the flashing installed with 2 layers.

405123_133364190147346_1879381826_n.jpg

526138_133364196814012_1585331723_n.jpg

602443_133364300147335_603697009_n.jpg

306087_133364310147334_247631072_n.jpg

003-4.jpg

002-6.jpg

001-6.jpg

011-3.jpg

010-4.jpg

The old fibreglass insulation was quite thin, at above 20mm, so i took this out and refitted with new insulation at about 200mm! had to compress a little. This is what i used:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=11127503&fh_view_size=150&fh_eds=%3f&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;{9372016}%2fcategories%3C{9372050}%2fcategories%3C{9372230}&isSearch=false&icamp=HP_nom3

I had to open up the packaging, as was far too thick at around 400mm, so went twice as far. I bought one roll the previous week, which was on offer, at about £.60, Homebase have it for £11, anyway, went back fior one more roll just in case, found they are selling a triple pack for £3!! Bargain, so now have more than i need, will chuck the rest up in the loft, even though there is loads up there, or perhaps just Freecycle it.

Finally, i have covered the area with this:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10617653&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;{9372016}/categories%3C{9372050}/categories%3C{9372230}/specificationsProductType=thermal_foil

Since then, I have bought a big bag of sheep's wool offcuts, double felted, nice and thick, decided to re-insulate behind the panels again, as i now ordered some new wooden panels for the interior, going to stain or lacquer them. The cork covered ones were only a temporary thing anyway.

I will take the interior out, re-insulate with the sheep's wool, fit new interior panels, and retrim

The wool is from locally sourced sheep, and there should be more than enough to redo it. May well fit some under the cab mats if i find some nice sizes.

http://www.woollyshepherd.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suspect the wool will sound insulate moreso than the rockwool. I may use some more flashing etc on top of the engine bay under the mattress section, and posisbly some kingspan type stuff in the engine bay itself.

Cheers,

Alistair

I used sheeps wool, as I understand that if it gets wet it's less likely to hold water against the metal. Also, rock wool irritates my skin like hell so wool was pleasure to fit , and I don't mind pulling it out if I need to get to something, or if some fibres break free

DDD106G said:
Hi can any body reccomend an insulation for my bus sides and floors .Ive looked at kingspan for the sides or wool material .And a reflective insulation that can be stuck down to the floors ,what does everybody else use .thanks ian

There is sound deadening and heat insulation, you need a combination of materials for each job. What are you hoping to achieve?

For heat insulation, I'll use offcuts of sheep's wool and for the windows some thermal window blankets.

I never fitted heat insulation. This is because when the weather is cold there is a mind boggling amount of condensation in a small vehicle like a bay with two or more people sleeping in it.

To stop this it needs to be well ventilated, unless you can hold your breath all night.

When its well ventilated heat escapes through the ventilation much more than through the body.

If there's an elevating roof then its like trying to insulate a frame tent.

It's hard to see how a heavily insulated vehicle would not suffer from trapped moisture.

Fortunately it's quite easy and cheap to heat such a small space instead of trying to trap the heat and moisture inside the vehicle all night. (Which, despite insulation, would soon become musty).

Trikky2 said:
I never fitted heat insulation. This is because when the weather is cold there is a mind boggling amount of condensation in a small vehicle like a bay with two or more people sleeping in it.

To stop this it needs to be well ventilated, unless you can hold your breath all night.

When its well ventilated heat escapes through the ventilation much more than through the body.

If there's an elevating roof then its like trying to insulate a frame tent.

It's hard to see how a heavily insulated vehicle would not suffer from trapped moisture.

Fortunately it's quite easy and cheap to heat such a small space instead of trying to trap the heat and moisture inside the vehicle all night. (Which, despite insulation, would soon become musty).

Valid point, but Westfalia fitted rockwool type insulation in the first place, though granted, i probably stuffed too much in, which is why i want to tear it out and put a smaller amount of sheepswool in, and least it's breathable, i suspect the flashing i have on the inside of the outer panels will keep some heat in

I'll see what mine looks like when i take the panels off....they were a tempory thing as it was always my intention to redo it again anyway, and i had heard of the condensation issue, was interested to see how it would affect my daily driver.

Cheers

Alistair

aogrady said:
Valid point, but Westfalia fitted rockwool type insulation in the first place

Cheers

Alistair

I didn't know westfalia did that.

I do know the polystyrene VW put in the rear pillars on late beetles was a really bad idea.

I've never fitted any insulation or even a wood floor because of trapped moisture. However, I've heard good things about the propertys of bubblewrap as a material. There's an article in the motorhome mag about using it in a project vehicle (LDV Pilot) as a budget alternative.

Latest posts