Interior Conversion

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karenstatham

Reaction score
Hello
I’ve just bought a VW Early Bay 1982 Westfalia. It doesn’t have any of the original interior cupboards etc and we’d like to have a full interior conversion based on the old interior of the Westy. Could anyone recommend where to go please? We’re based in the North East but happy to travel to get a good job done. Thank you. Karen

Karenstatham said:
Hello
I’ve just bought a VW Early Bay 1982 Westfalia. It doesn’t have any of the original interior cupboards etc and we’d like to have a full interior conversion based on the old interior of the Westy. Could anyone recommend where to go please? We’re based in the North East but happy to travel to get a good job done. Thank you. Karen

Congratulations on the new(ish) Westy and big welcome to the forum. :mrgreen: There were quite a few Westfalia models depending on their age or year of manufacture plus there were differences in RHD and LHD models too. Just behind the seat is an M plate and that will tell you exactly what version your van left the Westfalia factory with. I’ve got some Devon stuff and some home made in my bus but I like it a little more spacious. With the Westy, they have several different versions but they really tried to make use of every last square inch of available space, which is great for most but I find it a little claustrophobic :roll: . If you type in Westy interiors onto our good friend Mr Google, you’ll get some ideas of what sorts of interiors were available. I believe there are several firms doing these type of interiors but have never used them. The other thing I’d recommend most people to do, is to go to some VW shows and see how the different combos work for peeps, like some will suit a family and some will suit a couple more. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,, pop up a pic or two, so we can gush over your van :mrgreen:

Oops yes I meant 1972!! Thank you for the welcome to the forum Ozziedog. Good tip on going to a few shows to get an idea for what other people have done. I’ve been just doing the Google search. Here’s a few pics. It’s RH drive and came from South Africa just over a year ago.

Nice too see you on EB forum, think I seen your purchase on Angel FB site. I'm from consett, near durham

The original westy layouts can be bought in kit form from JK etc if you know someone who could fit them.

I'm not sure in the north east to be honest and most people opt for a DIY conversion or flatpack kits up here.
As ozzie said have a good nose before picking a layout you like. I did mine for a weekender.

Westy 3/4 beds are a bit small, I'm 6ft and my wifes 5ft10 and its too small for us, I opted for full size instead.

You may want to ask on the FB page and also the 'flat4dubs' north east FB group to see if anyone knows anyone.

Bantys newish VW business at crook do work, and I think it includes conversions. Sometimes expensive mind

http://www.poptopleisure.co.uk/contact

If you know anyone half good at woodwork, you could always get them to do the cabinets, get a trimmer for beds etc and then you could just project manage it and save a fair bit of cash?

Did mine last year, did everything myself, cabinets, covers, except the two front seat covers.

IRAC5RE.jpg

Thank you for the reply. We got the van from Consett so it will be the ad you’ve seen. I was having a look at the pop top leisure site - they also seem to have a place in Washington near us. I was thinking of getting in touch to get an idea of their prices and what interior they’ve done before. Good tip on the FB site too - thanks.We’ll have a look at different layouts too - it would be easy to rush in to it and get it done quick - especially with the weather getting better. More than anything I think we just want it to have a strong 70s feel to the look of the cabinets. We love mid century looking furniture! Lots to think about. You’ve done a great job with your van! Thanks again

Latest posts