Interior parts required

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tintin

Reaction score
Hi I have just bitten the bullit and dived into the world of Campers 1970 T2 . I need some help!

I need to get some new interior panels and don't know which is best to get. 3mm MDF or Marine grade ply (ebay)? I will get them covered but need your opinions please... Also i need to get a full set of silent gliss rails preferably full length rather than the 1 metre sections evereyone seems to offer. will need them off a westfalia if someone is breaking one as its a left hooker.

I have a million and one questions but will work through this methodically.

Thanks for your help. Tin Tin

tintin said:
Hi I have just bitten the bullit and dived into the world of Campers 1970 T2 . I need some help!

I need to get some new interior panels and don't know which is best to get. 3mm MDF or Marine grade ply (ebay)? I will get them covered but need your opinions please... Also i need to get a full set of silent gliss rails preferably full length rather than the 1 metre sections evereyone seems to offer. will need them off a westfalia if someone is breaking one as its a left hooker.

I have a million and one questions but will work through this methodically.

Thanks for your help. Tin Tin

Hi and Welcome

I think OG Westy panels would have been ply but not covered, if you are going to cover them then I would buy some ready covered panels...cheap and easy.

Westy's as far as I know didn'y have much gliss rail, just over the sliding door (and on 68/69 models over passenger and drivers doors. I think Justkampers do long length but pick up ony.

You could post questions like this in the Technical section, as others may have similar questions.

Good luck

Got my silent gliss (enough to do the full van) off here, think it was dolly daydream who is also vwcurtains.co.uk.

Steer clear of MDF for this purpose, any sign of moisture (condensation) and it will expand and fur up. It can hold moisture pretty well too. Also it can distort in shape much easier than ply over time.

Al

So having "invested" in a full set of mdf panels to get covered, any tips on avoiding this? Spray varnish?

(And I've seen ply ones cheaper on ebay :( )

Nick

Oops, only my opinion but working in the construction industry I don't allow our guys to use mdf as window sill boards for the above reason with condensation. If they are moisture resistant mdf i wouldn't worry about it (they would likely be green or have a green tinge). If not then I would suggest you varnish them, use a small sponge radiator roller, that won't take long, get a good coat on the edges. Bear in mind the og ones would have been hardboard so a similar material in a way (back tracking now) but we have all seen how they can shape over time (granted a very long time).

Al

So what are the thoughts on getting Ply interior panels and covering them?

Thanks Tin Tin

ABS plastic interior panels should be getting to you folks soon as a new business is setting up over there!

Latest posts