Is it safe to fit a leisure battery under the back seat?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldrick

Reaction score
Hi all

Is it safe to fit a leisure battery under the back seat? I read that they need to be vented, but most are sealed units. Anyone done this?

Thanks

I cant see that there would be any safety issues as long as the connections are covered so nothing could cause a short - after all thats where the battery on a beetle was fitted. In modern cars its not normally placed inside the car because of safety in a major accident eg spilt acid etc that are best kept away from potential survivors.

Why cant you fit it in the tray opposite the battery tray though? That is the safest option and the easiest for wiring too.

Trikky2 said:
I cant see that there would be any safety issues as long as the connections are covered so nothing could cause a short - after all thats where the battery on a beetle was fitted. In modern cars its not normally placed inside the car because of safety in a major accident eg spilt acid etc that are best kept away from potential survivors.

Why cant you fit it in the tray opposite the battery tray though? That is the safest option and the easiest for wiring too.
Hi Trikky2 seem to be talking a lot with you lately!!!

I want to fit a second leisure battery so I already have something on both battery trays.

Mine is under the rear seat along with zig unit ect. I used covered quick release battery terminals and dont use that area for storage.

Interesting if you google this... few comments about batteries exploding and covering everything in sulphuric acid http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ...wouldn't be too good for the Interior but wouldn't be great in the engine bay either! Some pages also say that lead acid batteries give off "highly explosive hydrogen gas" when charging...wouldn't think that is great to breathe in either. Bit of a dilemma. If you have the squids you could get a dry or gel type battery which apparently don't suffer from this flaw. About double the price apparently.

I had one in my old bus under the rear seat. There are risks, but very low probability and minimal impact, I reckon.

Clem said:
I had one in my old bus under the rear seat. There are risks, but very low probability and minimal impact, I reckon.

Exactly. There are risks involved in everything and currently there is a trend for people to be incredibly risk averse in advice to the point of becoming nannys :lol:

Theres literally millions of vehicles worldwide in use everyday with batteries inside them. Your statistically more likely to be hit by lightning or being eaten by a shark or maybe both at the same time. If you want to reduce your risk factor then stay off the road and stay away from the bathroom :lol:

The motorhome I used to own had its leisure battery under the passenger seat - it's common practice. But, it did have a little vent pipe that goes to a little vent hole in the top of the battery, and then goes outside through the floor - I guess to vent away any hydrogen on charging (but I remain to be convinced that was a serious risk).

Nick

Nearly all older caravans use to have them under the seats and nobody said nowt then. If your really worried as already said vent it through the floor using the tiny tube. Maybe you can get a proper battery box to fit in?

We do worry too much, but if you are concerned you could always put it in a battery box, as used in caravans etc

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/pennine-leisure-large-battery-box-caravanning-electrical-set-p141363" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(note, link is just for example, no idea if that's a good price or not :D )

Latest posts