Is there a early VW light grey other than L345

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozworth

Reaction score
My 69 panel is currently in at the body shop for a full inside n out respray in L345 light grey which is a age correct VW colour .The chap gave me a test colour sample today and I have to say I was supprised how much of a green tinge it had . It certainly doesn't look like the pics of the split busses I had saved on my tablet. I know pics can be different from the real thing but it's now got me thinking is there another light grey that was used on early vw's that might be more what I'm looking for?

If it's any help mate pearl white is very green when new.

Have you looked at this?:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers guys ,I've looked at a whole load of pics again tonight of vans In L345 and in the pics I do love the colour ,but I'm just suprised it has such a greenish/beige tinge. Just hope it looks ok on the bus .

Good point .I might ask if they can supply another paint brands mix of light grey to check the difference .

it can look green but mine is VW Light Grey and looks good on the van 8)

Here's a pic of my van in L345 if it helps.
But I agree with your comments about beige tint. When choosing a tonneau cover for it, I went with brown as I thought that complemented it well.
If the pic is too light to get an idea of the colour, I may have some better ones.

[photobucket] [/photobucket]

Cheers, tho can't take credit for it as it was in that condition when I imported it from Tenerife a few years ago.
(And unfortunately not looking so lush at the mo, as I had a run in with a cow in the New Forest a few months ago, so front end knackered !! Finally going in for a very expensive repair job on Monday!)

Actually if you click on the pic, there are more pics in the public photobucket album which will give you a better idea of the colour. For a commercial, as yours is, nothing wrong the colour I don't think.

Good luck.

Cheers dude ,I have always loved this colour ,but had thought it looked more grey than this colour swatch that the paint supplier did .Im not sure if it will look more grey once on the van .I do like the sample but if I had a choice of a slightly more greyer version I'd go with it .I might ask if the body shop can get another sample from a different paint supplier to see if there's any variation .
Here's what I had hoped it would look like this which they say is L345?

Hi
L345 is a khaki, beige kind of grey.
I had the colour sampled from some original codes just to make sure it was right.
It looks very good on but is not a straight grey. Here is the inside of my '69 single cab just freshly painted in it

Cheers I think it will look better once on the whole vehicle but on tester it's hard to get a real idea as its very much greener than I had hoped/thought . But I'm sure it's my best bet still as I can't find a light grey which is age correct .Unless anyone knows ?

damo said:
Here's a pic of my van in L345 if it helps.
But I agree with your comments about beige tint. When choosing a tonneau cover for it, I went with brown as I thought that complemented it well.
If the pic is too light to get an idea of the colour, I may have some better ones.

[photobucket] [/photobucket]
Just looked at your pics and I think it might look ok .

Latest posts