it looks like an early, but looks can decieve...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baron

Reaction score
I spend christmas in brazil, which was my ideal holiday, lovely places, nice people, hot sun, fantastic martial arts, an eyepopping graffiti scene and most importantly, vw van's all over the shop

so I annoyed the missus taking endless shots of campervans

they might look like early bays, but these have all been made recently

check em....

first up, a dealership van

347649495_91158f2266_o.jpg

these taxi's were everywhere

347653443_17ac02b933_o.jpg

they run rounded bumpers, but high indicators, some have normal roof lines like this

347649496_61342d65ed_o.jpg

and some look like splits from behind, even though they are bays

347649498_265ecb2ad4_o.jpg

and there are loads of pick ups running around working like troopers

347653442_28dbe8c244_o.jpg

cool eh?

they have stopped making aircooled versions now, but they still knock out watercooled vans, with a huge minging black radiator grille on the front

Interesting - so I wonder why it is so hard to get rounded bumpers if they seem to have been using them over there for a while! I know you can get them if you try.....
That half bay, half samba looks strangely odd :D

well you can get rounded rear bumpers, slashed not diamond cut at the ends (I reckon slashed looks better anyway)

I think that's where JK get em from

but the front bumpers don't go all the way round, no steps under the door, and I'm not sure if you could just add an end section

you can get the brazillian stylee bumpers from heritage.
or they list them in the catalogue at least!
kinda odd that they changed them for a vehicle they were discontinueing?
also they seem to be made from tin foil grade steel, those buses have really poor finish and would last only a few years in this country.

anyone seen "city of god"?
great film set in the slums of brazil with loads of these busses in the background!

Ive seen that film, well brutal! great vans in it though 8)

The rounded front bumper bolts to a late front panel, so they are a one off, for Brazil only.

They made splits up to 1975, then 14 windows till 1996, now they are on the latest style as you say.

I was seriously considering it, but my contact in brazil has gone stone cold. Those vans are cheap as chips out there.

our_bus.jpg

I would have to chop the gay rear lights out & fit early corners & total smooth the front. Not a bug job.

I think they are king & link pin front too, so you can go silly low. The IRS rear runs a 1303 beetle box. They are an odd ball box of bits!

I love em!

they are king and link fronts but they have bay discs and calipers.
kinda uprated split underpinnings on a mutant bay body!
odd! :shock:

Gonna be big this year, the samba bay :D

Like the extra windows loads 8)

baron said:
I spend christmas in brazil, which was my ideal holiday, lovely places, nice people, hot sun, fantastic martial arts, an eyepopping graffiti scene and most importantly, vw van's all over the shop

so I annoyed the missus taking endless shots of campervans

they might look like early bays, but these have all been made recently

check em....

first up, a dealership van

347649495_91158f2266_o.jpg

these taxi's were everywhere

347653443_17ac02b933_o.jpg

they run rounded bumpers, but high indicators, some have normal roof lines like this

347649496_61342d65ed_o.jpg

and some look like splits from behind, even though they are bays

347649498_265ecb2ad4_o.jpg

and there are loads of pick ups running around working like troopers

347653442_28dbe8c244_o.jpg

cool eh?

they have stopped making aircooled versions now, but they still knock out watercooled vans, with a huge minging black radiator grille on the front

Dude

Where were you?

Im going next month to the NW area. 8)

Always interesting to see pics of the various Brazilian and Mexican buses. I've often fancied going to Brazil to see all the buses, and for several years wondered why no one was importing them, until Beetles UK started doing it.
The bays always remind me of '72 crossovers. :)

Clem said:
I
Dude

Where were you?

Im going next month to the NW area. 8)

we stayed in salvador first, the ipanema in rio, then morro de saupaulo an island near salvador

if you're going round there and want any tips, let me know : )

Latest posts