it won't start

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olance

Reaction score
When I turnt he key, the back makes an almighty clacking gring noise and doesn't tick pover properly, engione doesn't start - any ideas? Main problem is I need my MOT retest done in the next couple of days and they can't retest is without it starting. No MOT = No tax (ran out three days ago) = no driving. In short a nightmare. If I don't get the MOT retested int he next couple of days I'll have to pay for it again.

Any ideas??

thanks

If its just a kinda of loud click noise then sounds like not enough charge in the battery. Try jumping it and see how that goes.

it jump starts fine. the problem is the garage won't take it if it won't start. I'm charging up a new battery. spoke to local machanic who said it might be that the battery connections were'n't as tight as poss.

we will see.

cheers!

Could be flat battery, knackered battery or worn starter motor bush.

You can MOT a vehicle that isn't running so the restart thing they are fobbing you off with is total horse shit. Even if its sitting there not running they can test it as there is no emissions test for that year of vehicle The only thing that would cause a fail is if you have servo brakes.

Hey,,

ProfessorWheeto said:
Could be flat battery, knackered battery or worn starter motor bush.

You can MOT a vehicle that isn't running so the restart thing they are fobbing you off with is total horse shit. Even if its sitting there not running they can test it as there is no emissions test for that year of vehicle The only thing that would cause a fail is if you have servo brakes.

Tell em straight P. W. :lol: :p :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, :msn4:

They won't retest it because they needx to take to their other garage for the handbrake test and they don't want their bloke to be stranded between the two.

Anyway, I charged up the new battery, checked all my connections, everything nice and tight and STILL NO BLOODY JOY.

So it's back in to the garage on Monday. Unfromtunately this means having to pay for another test ... more money and more money.

Looks like the childern are going ungry this month again!

Turn on the lights- are they bright? if not battery nacked. or bad connections
turn on ignition - do your oil and gen lights come on?
turn the key to fire the starter - do the ignition lights dim slightly?
make sure its out of gear.
get under the bus hold a screwdriver ( or cable) across the big terminals on the solenoid (positive from battery and earth)- it should turn the starter but not the engine.
next join the positive on the solenoid from the battery to the small terminal which is the wire from the ignition switch - this should turn the engine over - if it doesnt tap the solenoid with a hammer - if this works the solenoid could be on its way out or the ignition switch could be faulty or the wiring from the switch to the solenoid is not carriying enough voltage.
jump a cable from the small terminal on the solenoid (from the ignition) into the engine bay and hold it on the positive side of the regulator this bypasses the ignition switch and should turn the motor over.

Good luck 8)

Thanks for all the handy advice ..... it tunrs out one of the circuits on my imobiliser has a fault, causing a decrease in power to the starter motor. A bit of rewiring done by the man that can and it's all good!

Took the van to the MOT place and am now good to go for another year ...weheeey!

Cheers

Latest posts