jacknut removal

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonmonkey02

Reaction score
just unscrewed the spare wheel bracket off the front of the van and i've got 4 of these to remove from the holes where the badge goes:

http://www.prifast.co.uk/jacknut.htm

- has anyone removed these before? i guess i'll need to drill them out or does anyone know of a better way to minimise collateral damage?

any advice welcome.

carefully drilling out to the diameter of the hole should do the job, at least its only 4, i had hundreds of pop rivets to do lol.

Yes they will drill out but go gently at high speed because you dont want them to start spinning in the holes.

Always thought that the badge clips push into the riv-nuts and are hidden once the badge is in place.
As soon as you drill the riv-nuts out the holes that are left will be to big for the clips

wanted to remove the jacknuts as a couple were going rusty and getting rust stains.

i'll be putting the badge back on - normally the badge is fitted with plastic bits that push into the holes drilled on the panel. you're right, where the jacknuts have been fitted the holes have been enlarged and are now too big for the standard plastic bits.

i'll probably glue the badge in place and i'll need to find a way of "filling" the holes to make the plastic bits fit.

just removed the jacknuts and it took about 20 mins to remove the first one and about 5 mins for each one thereafter - quite straight forward.

first i drilled the outer ring (the bit you can see on the outside) with a large drill bit (in this case 9.5mm) to get the outer ring spinning on the part of the body which is gripping it from the inside. the purpose of this is to loosen the outer ring so there is a very small gap between the outer ring and the panel.

next i got some tin snips and carefully cut the outer ring off - when you make a couple of cuts the ring will come off easily. you'll need to do this in several cuts/pieces and doing it this way there's no damage to the panel.

once the outer ring is off it's a straight forward job to push or cut off the gripping bits on the main body (which is in the hole) and push whats left through the hole which then drops down behind where the kick boards are.

that's it, quite straight forward and if done with care zero damage.

thanks all for the advice.

moonmonkey02 said:
just unscrewed the spare wheel bracket off the front of the van and i've got 4 of these to remove from the holes where the badge goes:

http://www.prifast.co.uk/jacknut.htm

- has anyone removed these before? i guess i'll need to drill them out or does anyone know of a better way to minimise collateral damage?

any advice welcome.

Back in the late-1970s, when I bought a Holdsworth branded, front-panel spare-wheel carrier, for my 1972/73 VW Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, it came supplied with this type of cavity fixings, which I elected not to use.

As a better alternative, which would be stronger and less likely to foster corrosion, I fitted home-made, rubber-coated, stainless steel staps, with captive lock-nuts, behind the front panel.

naskeet said:
Back in the late-1970s, when I bought a Holdsworth branded, front-panel spare-wheel carrier, for my 1972/73 VW Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, it came supplied with this type of cavity fixings, which I elected not to use.

As a better alternative, which would be stronger and less likely to foster corrosion, I fitted home-made, rubber-coated, stainless steel staps, with captive lock-nuts, behind the front panel.

:lol: I bought exactly the same for my 71. I used the supplied jack nuts which fitted straight in the original holes, no drilling required. They are still on there today - no rust, no problems.

As for strength I still regularly stand on the spare wheel when cleaing/polishing the roof. :lol:

Latest posts