Jumping out of 2nd gear.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CleoMar

Reaction score
Had the trans on my 71 Westy rebuilt and since reinstalling from the get go it jumps out of 2nd. If I double declutch and hold the gear shift 2nd gear works ok. Any ideas on a straightforward fix or will the trans have to come out again and be disassembled? All other gears operate ok.
Suggestions are welcome.
Cheers
Kit

We did not part on good terms. I was unhappy with the overall work he was doing for me and told him so. He did not take it constructively. Quite the challenge these days to find an "expert" who you can work with and trust and who gives value for money. Boy, I must be getting old and cynical.
Ha ha. C

We did not part on good terms. I was unhappy with the overall work he was doing for me and told him so. He did not take it constructively. Quite the challenge these days to find an "expert" who you can work with and trust and who gives value for money. Boy, I must be getting old and cynical.
Ha ha. C
You're not getting old and cynical, (well you could be!) he's done a shitty job on your box. Someone reputable who takes pride in a good job would be horrified to hear about any issues you had with their work (where valid) and want to discuss and resolve things properly to keep a happy customer. The type who throws a fit about any valid criticism when they do substandard work is generally mediocre or worse at what they're doing. Sadly, I seem to be meeting people like this far too often as well these days, they're everywhere. :(

Last edited:
Ha ha. C
Who did it?, handy to know who to avoid. Hope you get this sorted.

You're not getting old and cynical, (well you could be!) he's done a shitty job on your box. Someone reputable who takes pride in a good job would be horrified to hear about any issues you had with their work (where valid) and want to discuss and resolve things properly to keep a happy customer. The type who throws a fit about any valid criticism when they do substandard work is generally mediocre or worse at what they're doing. Sadly, I seem to be meeting people like this far too often as well these days, they're everywhere. :(

I've heard some good feedback about this business who rebuild VW boxes. You might want to have a chat with them.

https://shift.direct/
No name or exact address on the website but if that is who I think it is, I wouldn’t go there again.

No name or exact address on the website but if that is who I think it is, I wouldn’t go there again.
That's worrying, I'd heard they did a good job, I've no personal experience of them, so as a precaution I've deleted the suggestion, as I don't want to drive anyone to someone who might be doing sub standard work!

I am over here in British Columbia where there is a dearth of aircooled resources so unlikely to impact you guys in the UK. California is my best resource however distance is the issue. Shipping into Canada has become prohibitive. We will find a solution. Just a matter of perseverance. Cheers to all. C

Latest posts