just how daft an idea is this?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluesnailman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife is set on a holiday to the 'Newport Bay' area of USA next year - for 3 weeks, using just about all our holiday entitlement.

Major concern - what no campervan holiday???!!! (we live in UK). This year we went to spain for 2.5 weeks, netherlands for long weekend plus weekend in UK. I'm properly hooked on the Bluesnail.

So, I've been wondering....mmm, Can I ship my '68 Westy (back!) to USA for a holiday? Would save me nasty hire cars and expensive hotels.

Question is, just how difficult would this be, and would I loose days of holiday at the ports messing around with customs and containers?

Look at it carefully as shipping it out there isnt so much of an issue but when you ship it back i think you may suffer issues with the tax man, it does get complicated. Keith Seume I think had an issue when he shipped his car back to the states last year.

The numbers don't add up.

For three months maybe, not three weeks.

Even then it would be more economical to buy one out there and sell it back after (or ship it back to the UK)

Plus, yes your right, it's a lot of hassle and time wasted if you are supposed to be on holiday.

Ps. Campervan rental in the US is expensive. Earlier this year it was cheaper for us to rent a Mustang and pay for motels for a little over five weeks touring than to rent a camper.

Or was your post rhetorical? :? :lol:

Bluesnailman said:
sorry guys, post is not just in theory - think i have an addiction!!

I know what you mean, I have, in the past, looked at similar ideas :oops: but, like I said, the numbers just don't add up. :lol:

That doesent mean you can't or shouldn't do it, just that its going to be more hassle and a lot more expensive. ;)

I'd love to take my (RHD UK) bus over there sometime, if I was there long enough.

I was there for 2 months earlier this year, and hire cars are cheap - doesn't compare to the camper though. America is HUGE though, even with a car capable of the (mostly 75mph) speed limits on freeways, getting places still took forever. :)

Newport Bay in the state of Maryland (east coast) or Newport Beach in California (west coast ) ?

Either way , it sounds expensive and too much hassle to must of us but definately doable.

If it makes sense to you and you can afford it we'll love to see the pictures and read the stories :D

A lot of people here move buses from the States to the UK so I'm sure you can get information on good companies to do the job for you.

I would recommend calling Kingston Shipping to get an idea of the process.
They do the work for me every time when I bring my bus to the UK as a tourist and all I have to do is show up at the yard , they hand me the keys and out I go to enjoy my holiday. All under one hour.
I do not fill a single piece of paperwork , if you can get that same service when you pick up your bus in the States it would make your holiday a lot easier.
Granted , my buses don't make it back to the States , they have always been able to find a good home in the UK :mrgreen:

Give Ryan a buzz at Clifton Campers, solid chap, glad to help and knows what he's talking about...might be a tad expensive but what isn't...

Latest posts