Just purchased '73! Finding which month it was made + Tax

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveangel

Reaction score
Hi all, I am hoping that someone will reply even though I now have a '73 bay and not a lowlilght!

I am picking up my new RHD Westy on Sunday and have started to look at repair panels as it needs some work. However, I see there is some kind of cut off for spares which suggest parts for >'73 and then '73 onwards.

- How do I know which month my bay was made? I have the chassis number but can't find any mention of corresponding months on the web. I was told by the owner that it was a Nov '72 bay but I believe that this would make it a lowlight (?) so can't be correct.

- It is also registered as tax exempt, so am starting to get concerned that in fact perhaps it should not be. I did read somewhere that there was a 'cut off' chassis number which made it tax exempt or not, then I also read that it was a simply 'date' which was the cut off point (being Dec 72). Could someone clarify?

A Nov '72 would not be a lowlight.

The model years run from august to august. So a vehicle built in September 1972 will actually be a 1973 model, to which 1973 year parts will fit. A van built in july 1972 will be a 1972 model and the 1973 parts may not fit (depending on parts).

There is a plate fitted to the van which tells you the date the vehicle was made. I think it should be behind the passenger seat on a RHD, but my memory is awful. It will need decoding for the exact data. I'm sure someone else knows more ;)

Send me the chassis number and I will have a look later when I get home and will be able to help you with what you are looking for, if you have got all the details off the chassis plate (behind the front passenger seat) I can give you all the details regarding your van such as:

Exact build date
Options fitted
Original Colour
Etc, etc

If you would rather not publish this on line send it to me in a PM and I will respond accordingly,

Tofufi said:
A Nov '72 would not be a lowlight.

The model years run from august to august. So a vehicle built in September 1972 will actually be a 1973 model, to which 1973 year parts will fit. A van built in july 1972 will be a 1972 model and the 1973 parts may not fit (depending on parts).

There is a plate fitted to the van which tells you the date the vehicle was made. I think it should be behind the passenger seat on a RHD, but my memory is awful. It will need decoding for the exact data. I'm sure someone else knows more ;)

Superb, thanks for this. I will have access to the plate on Sunday so will check then. It could be why the owner says its a Nov 1972 van. That makes sense about the 73 parts, so as long as I get a part for a '73 then I should be good to go.

Just to clarify, if it is Tax exempt then DVLA will have required some documentary evidence to prove that it was built on or before December 31 1972, which is the cut off date for qualification. Ask the previous owner if he has any paperwork supporting this. It is possible that the birth certificate has been sent from VW at Wolfsburg, which will also detail everything you will wish to know about your bus.

Daveangel..The last VW type 2 that was built on 31st December 1972 had the number 102 496. So if your van/camper/pick up has a chassis number before 2*32 102496, you qualify for a free tax disc, if its higher, you don't.

Dont confuse date of build and date of registration.

It's quite possible your Westy was built in 1972 but not sold/registered until 1973.

Hope this helps.

Stirlingmoz

Dave has sent me the number in a PM and its less than 2*32 102496 by about 20,000 so I think he's in luck it looks like its a 72 :mrgreen: and would tally with the November 72 quoted by the PO.

Latest posts