Kayaking

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey,

I would definately recommend going to a club first to master the basics and decide on what direction you want to go.

As with anything there are lots of different diciplines. Im sure there is a local club near you, check the BCU website.

If you tell me what sort of thing your looking at doing i could probably describe something. Tbh most of the guys in any of the shops i have used at top blokes. But i would not recommend buying brand new! Ex-demo is the way to go!

Luke

Sorry my first post was a bit vague

Cheers for the reply. I know the basics, and I have done a little bit of Kayaking over the years. I'm looking at a second hand sit on double kayak for me and my five year old, for still water.

I've got a perception scooter sit on top. great kayak for general purpose. has great reviews. great on flat water. stable, and tracks well. also likes surf. they do a two man version called the gemini.

I initially purchased a rigid 2/3 person sit on top and found it too heavy and cumberson to use plus a pain to store in the garden. It was also impossible to get it in or on the bus with everything else we take away with us so ended up using it with the car locally at weekends. I sold it and instead bought a Sevylor Hudson inflatable.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/kcc-360-hudson-3p-33504807/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a pucker piece of kit not a toy and very robust. It packs away easily into a large rucksack size bag and as it is much easier to transport we have used it far more than the rigid. It might be you prefer the rigid but do at least consider the merits of an good inflatable.

I was initially put off inflatables, because I thought they wouldn't last long enough and be prone to punctures.

I do like the look of the one in the link.

Thanks

Hi, i have a Malibu mini x, again its a great all rounder, i managed to pick up the fishing and diving version, find it great fun and my little lad and my nieces love going on it with me.....it's not too big either i have a vito work van and it fits inside so no tying on roofs which is a bonus :)

.................kev

Cool, slightly different to what i first thought.

I cant say that i have paddled many sit on tops or inflatables......the inflatables do seem to be bloody tough, saw a guy paddling one down some rapids a while ago and he seemed pretty confident with it in that situation.

Just keep your eyes peeled as there are so many 2nd hand bargains to be had.

I need a new boat but at £800 or something stupid i could by new wheels for the van :D

Luke

Latest posts