Late bay gearbox into an early?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faux

Reaction score
I have a late bay box (091) with a taller 4th gear and want to fit it to my bus. It was fitted to a 75 with a type 1 engine.

Has anyone done this and did you encounter any problems?

I'm trying to get it sorted before volksworld and the engine is going in this week.

Thanks

Jon

I think mine has a latebay gearbox in it Jon.. Looks pretty standard fit, I might be wrong though..

63bd0f9d.jpg

Yeah your right dude that is a late bay box as the two ears on the top is for the rear mount on a late bay

Should bolt straight up too

Isn't the input shaft slightly longer? Or did I dream that? :-/

I have one fitted to mine, pretty straight forward, if you look at my thread it shows any issues i had, the input shaft is slightly longer but mine fit without any modification required, all i did was change the bell housing for my early one and away you go

Pete

Mine was a bitch to fit, the shaft needed shortening, easy enough, but the casting holding the starter was thicker meaning the race was only half on the flywheel, then the whole thing was an inch further back and the bracket needed modding, I cant offer any advice im afraid because Interpro fitted it, but Jason said it took him most of the day and lots of head scratching....it did go in tho so doable.

input shaft is only longer on a t4 engine box(as far as i know)apart from the "ears"the bell housing should be the same up to 75 .its differant after then thats why its longer ,the starter is longer as well.if its a t4 box you only need to cut about 10mm of the end for the pilot bearing ,angle grinder job ;) the rear mount fits ok ,remove the studs and use bolts.

i believe loxy is planning the very same thing.

the input shaft is longer and as a result the bell housing is deeper. Because the bell housing is deeper the starter motor has a longer throw.

i'm taking a guess here, but i think if you replace the bell housing, starter and input shaft for a 1600 Type I engine then its should all work. if you simply upgrade to a typeIV starter and box you may be able to simply cut the input shaft down

NaFe

Haveacamper said:
i believe loxy is planning the very same thing.

the input shaft is longer and as a result the bell housing is deeper. Because the bell housing is deeper the starter motor has a longer throw.

i'm taking a guess here, but i think if you replace the bell housing, starter and input shaft for a 1600 Type I engine then its should all work. if you simply upgrade to a typeIV starter and box you may be able to simply cut the input shaft down

NaFe

Sounds about right!

Sorry for the hijack, I've a 1303s Bug box I was planning to use but this seems a simpler option.
So, to clarify, a LB pre 75 box has a longer 4th gear, therefore lowering revs on the motorway.
I need to remove the Bellhousing from my 1600 box and swap it over on to the LB box and Bobs your uncle?
Is it only pre 75 boxes I can use?

I think you can use any bay 6 rib nose shift box I think the pre 75 have the same bell housing as the early bay for a type 2 engine after that it's type 4 engine requiring the bell housing to be changed (I think) 6 rib boxes are rare and expensive tho

mr scoops said:
Sorry for the hijack, I've a 1303s Bug box I was planning to use but this seems a simpler option.
So, to clarify, a LB pre 75 box has a longer 4th gear, therefore lowering revs on the motorway.
I need to remove the Bellhousing from my 1600 box and swap it over on to the LB box and Bobs your uncle?
Is it only pre 75 boxes I can use?

After a bit of faffing around and trying other things in the end thats all i had to do, and its gives then same top end rev range as the bug box conversion

Pete

So it's just down to finding a good 6 rib then?
If I'm planning to swap out the bell-housing and starter does this mean I am not restricted to a pre 75 1700 box and I can in fact use any 6 rib?
Sorry for the daft questions!

I think so also 6 rib boxes are from the 2.0 engines so make sure you have the power to run it

Thanks.
I plan to fit it with my new engine (when it's built).
78.4 stroker crank, Scat C25 cam, 1:1.25 rockers and CB Los Banditos heads.
Coupled with my Pertronix Dizzy, ICT's and Vintage Speed exhaust I think it'll be capable.

Sorry am just hi jacking this as i am currently trying to get a late bay box into my early bay but we are having problems with the gearbox mount bracket did you have to modify or get a different brakcet or did you simply take the rubber mount off the nose cone of the gearbox and fit it onto the early bracket?

Latest posts