Learner Mechanics

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daverob73

Reaction score
I was looking for some help in describing the various parts of my bus (engine mainly). I want to learn how to maintain it, change the oil, know where to start when she breaks down etc. :!:

I stumbled upon this eTextbook, it explains stuff quite simply. Which for me is quite useful...

Here's the link for the textbook (not all about aircooled engines though):

http://moodle.student.cnwl.ac.uk/moodledata_shared/cdx%20etextbook/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The eTextbook is from CDX Auto. These guys are providers of interactive, online automotive technician training in US.
http://cdxauto.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And there are some good videos here, you can order the parts needed underneath the video:
http://www.justkampers.com/community" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Videos link is down the left hand side.

I reckon the best book would the VW manuel for idiots (not implying anything) :lol: arm yourself with that and some spanners! Getting hands on is the best way to learn :)

Yeah I've ordered that from Amazon. :D
Its called 'How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot'
Perfect! :lol:

It's a good book to start with, but if you can afford it get a Bentley Official Service Manual. although it's a bit over the top if you're not up on the tech side, it does have brilliant illustrations that really help.

lilblue1970 said:
It's a good book to start with, but if you can afford it get a Bentley Official Service Manual. although it's a bit over the top if you're not up on the tech side, it does have brilliant illustrations that really help.

I have just this week taken delivery of both and they look to be the perfect companions. I love John Muir's writing in 'idiot' - he writes as an owner and driver of a bus, a lover of the breed - but the Bentley manual looks to be very authoritative. :D

Search the forum for "techenders". Held 2x a year in April then September, it's a fun camping weekend nr Hinkley in Leicestershire specifically for the "old hands" to show the "newbies" how to service engine/brakes and generally explain things, help you check anything that concerns you and generally suck air through teeth then say "that shouldn't be like that mate". Strong liver required.

Search the forum for "techenders". Held 2x a year in April then September, it's a fun camping weekend nr Hinkley in Leicestershire specifically for the "old hands" to show the "newbies" how to service engine/brakes and generally explain things, help you check anything that concerns you and generally suck air through teeth then say "that shouldn't be like that mate". Strong liver required.

If I'm not on holiday, I'm in. Should give me time to figure out why I'll need a strong liver to deal with sucking air through teeth... :)

Latest posts