Left hand ICT carb fuel pipe inlet

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moseley

Reaction score
Question to you folks running ICT carbs (and maybe others depending on the fuel pipe position).

Whilst I was poking around my engine bay this weekend, I noticed that some of my fuel lines were perishing on the outside - a common problem it seems if the bends have been made too tight. I won’t mention that I also managed to dislodge one of the lines and drained most of my fuel tank onto the garage floor before I could get a jack underneath it to stem the flow [emoji23]. Certainly I’m now looking at changing around a few lines to make the runs straighter, but the one that I don’t know what to do with is the inlet to the left hand carb. Worst case, I’ll pop a couple of 90 degree elbows in there, but ideally I want a sweeping bend to minimise joints. I can’t seem to find anything that exists with some barbs to help grip the fuel line. What have others done?

83f8faf25114cef04182038d4a9b2593.jpg

And a photo of one of the perished lines (which is going to be replaced with a proper 90 degree outlet), but I was surprised at how this had started to fail given it is less than a year old and not at a particularly tight angle:

20170d915fe7f38e76f620b8f46a4298.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a brass T piece at the side of the left hand carb for the pipe from the tank, then to each carb. The bends don’t look too bad to me. I also have the 100% ethanol proof lines. No cracks or splits after one year so far any way. What fuel line have you got there?

Hi Mike, I should have added, I’m running a pressure regulator mounted on the firewall, so the lines for each carb come from the reg which is in between them. The right hand carb has a nice straight run to it! The left hand would as well if only the carbs were mirror images of each other...

The fuel line is R9 from Advanced Fluid Solutions. No perishing on the inside, so I don’t think it is fuel related. I tend to change it every year or two, but this is the worst perishing I’ve seen in that space of time on the outside, and the pipe runs are the same as they’ve always been.

I run my fuel lines from the pressure regulator to a tee on top of the fan housing, then a line to each carb.
I don't use R9 fuel pipe any more because of the external cracking, the Gates Barricade that's been on there for 3 years is still in good condition.

When I ran the single port with ICT's the fuel pipe route was similar.
The worst R9 pipe was always the one that fed the fuel pump.

I agree, stopped using R9 a while ago due to the same issue of external cracking. I think this is related to the bend radius being too tight and heat/ vibration rather than the fuel. However so far the Cohline 100% is ok. I suppose the Gates is the same just a different supplier. I found the R9 to be very stiff compared to the new pipe which is much easier to work with.
I must be getting old and confused [emoji2369] because I said above the T piece was connected to the tank then the carbs. Of course that’s wrong, there’s the pump first, then the T piece then the carbs.

Hmm, certainly some food for thought regarding the type of fuel hose used. On second thoughts, I will replace everything with some 100% ethanol proof and see how that fairs. I wanted to get the fuel lines routed in a way that I was happy with first of all - my concern was that if the bends are too tight now, then I don’t want to trash some rubber that is three times the price 😂.

I wonder if I could use a piece of copper / kunifer bent into a U bend and then flare the ends to stop the pipe from coming off. Anyone got any idea what this is called?! It looks like a swage, but it isn’t at the tip of the pipe, so there must be some tool that can create such a thing... google is proving illusive just now.

You'll need a bead rolling tool, they're used mostly on boost applications to stop the pipes blowing off.
I don't think they'll go small enough for 5.5mm or 8mm pipe though.

Why not try hard lines? If you attach the tee to the fan shroud, use rubber from the regulator to the tee and then hard lines to the carbs.

When I get around to dropping my engine out for an upgrade/overhaul, I'll probably go with flexible hoses with AN fittings and do away with any rubber.

This is the stuff I bought for reference

https://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/55mm-id-732-100-bio-fuel-hose-diesel--petrol-22400400-2015-p.asp

It’s a pretty close to original fit at 5.5mm.

sparkywig said:
You'll need a bead rolling tool, they're used mostly on boost applications to stop the pipes blowing off.
I don't think they'll go small enough for 5.5mm or 8mm pipe though.

Why not try hard lines? If you attach the tee to the fan shroud, use rubber from the regulator to the tee and then hard lines to the carbs.

When I get around to dropping my engine out for an upgrade/overhaul, I'll probably go with flexible hoses with AN fittings and do away with any rubber.
It seems as though some people make a bit of a ‘bump’ in the pipe work using a brake line flaring tool. Supposedly it can be done by only doing the first part of creating a flare suitable for a brake union. I might buy a set and see what I can make. Had a look at bead tools and as you suggest, they all seem to be for larger diameter pipe work unfortunately.

When you say hard lines, are you talking about connecting directly into the carb? Currently there is a hose nipple on there, I’m not sure how it would be removed, and if it can’t be removed easily, I’m still left needing to connect a hard line to a length of fuel hose. What is different about the internals of braided hose compared to normal rubber fuel hose? Is it actually corrugated stainless inside? Like you’ve said, it’s probably a much easier job to make any large changes when the engine is out!

mike202 said:
This is the stuff I bought for reference

https://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/55mm-id-732-100-bio-fuel-hose-diesel--petrol-22400400-2015-p.asp

It’s a pretty close to original fit at 5.5mm.
Just fitted up the same - a much nicer fit than the previous R9. I think a combination of it being much more flexible and a slightly smaller diameter.

Whilst I was at it, I purchased some new hose clips. I have previously tried unbranded and Mikalor ones, but haven’t been happy with the fitment and the lack of nut retention. Bought some of these Norma ones which are a bit more expensive, but much easier to work with and visibly clamp more effectively (I.e. fully around the rubber with no gaps).

https://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/aba-stainless-steel-mini-fuel-hose-clips-235-c.asp

Latest posts