Lemurs custom headliner experiment.. photo diary

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vinyl turned up today :lol: and this time myself AND the wife are happy with the colour lol

will be uploading pics of the covering tomorrow ....

I'll let the pics do the talking here i think :)
very happy with the results.

:party0009: Shall snap more pic's over the weekend when i'll be fitting the headliner into the Lemurbus should the sunshine last...
Any feedback?

Liam

Cheers guys... turned out well didn't it, really looking forward to wrestling it into the J channel (NOT) :shock:
it's tight but does go, and i'm planning some funky custom joining strips too.

........and wait till you see the flooring we've picked! although there will be no individual thread for that just the generic diary below

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58865" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Peace
Liam

ps. 68_early_bay once i've m.o.t i'd very much like to drive up and have a butchers at you bus.. your only a few mile from me?

Looks good also my list to do, i just wondered that looks like 4mm external ply? it will be interesting to see how you conceal the joins, Some small bits of H-section would be good but i have no idea where to get it

subheatadey said:
Looks good also my list to do, i just wondered that looks like 4mm external ply? it will be interesting to see how you conceal the joins, Some small bits of H-section would be good but i have no idea where to get it

The ply measures in at about 3.4mm and I've steamed it under tension/ mock fitted prior to covering. As regards the H section, I'm gonna find one with the best fit (ideally alloy but will except plastic if it's 'knob on') and this shall also be covered in the same vinyl, will be a fiddly job I'm sure but once its all fitted I feel this will be the neatest/subtlest option and shouldn't draw your eyes to it... It is all a bit of a experiment but that's the fun of it, and to do something different. I always thought the just-ply original was a bit dark, my new headliner should leave the van feeling fresh and light filled :)

Thanks for the interest and comment,
Liam

Well been working on this all weekend and it's all done :)
will take some pictures before work tomorrow... gotta say though it looks the bomb!! I'm super chuffed, really has made a massive difference to the whole feel inside the van, so light, clean and crisp.

Liam

here we go then, been over with the camera and cleaned any finger prints off etc... :)

also forgot to mention, I used plastic H-section from the big DIY branch, covered the face with vinyl and tucked it around the first edge.. if that makes sense. when fitting the front and rear boards I bent the them down so the concave was 'bellying' downwards then popped it up with a good fast shove,a little frightening but went well.
what do you think?

overview:
ply=£18
vinyl=£42
spray adhesive=£5
blades for jigsaw/stanley knife=£5
Time=£0

project total = £70 :)

headliner even worthy of a visit from the 'boss' apparently :lol:

yackaboo said:
Been following this thread and have to say what a fantastic job you made of it, you must be well chuffed :D

Mike

Thank you very much, I am really chuffed with it.. like all custom type projects time is the trouble.. it wasn't expensive to do but there are always little issues that slow you down, waiting for glue to dry, experimenting with different joining strips, waiting for vinyl samples to arrive, the bloody weather etc.. but now its done I'm buzzing with it.. :) doing the floor next.

I hope it inspires others to have a go, you don't see much other than ply headliners in westys very often! I'm sure all the 'stock only' guys will hate it.. but hey it's my bus :lol:

Liam

trinketpimp said:
Well done fella, looks the dogs ! now who has those templates.........?

Thanks dude glad you like :) , 'Buxtonbug' had them from me, not sure where they went next :msn4:

Lemur,
Do another thread on your efforts on the floor front if you would, another job on my list. Now once again ' Who has those templates ?

quote 'all above' coments :)

Thanks guys for your positive feedback.. been on this site a good while and it's always been friendly and kind :)

...as regards for a separate thread for the flooring, it'll be in my build thread http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58865" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
which i intend to update over this week, but i'll keep it full of pictures and detail.

more soon
Liam

Latest posts